Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if I am to be the flexible one, there won't be a reason why not to have peach/orange/kiwi ...etc. instead of bananas?! they're not that crucial for survival anyway!

But how is one supposed to predict that their skipper would have such a random belief as "bananas are bad luck on a ship"?

Unless you happened to notice that the skipper had a 16th century understanding of the way the world worked in general, you wouldn't predict he would see a relationship between bananas and his boats safety/success.

I don't think you can blame the consumer's ignorance for not checking up on their boat's banana policy before they signed on. There's nothing to warn the consumer that bananas would be an issue in the first place.
I don't think it's a random belief - pretty common in many boating circles. It may be 16th century thinking but its theirs. PB likes to quote from his Biblical studies based on the Gospels approved by the Council in the 3rd century, but if I went to his home and he wanted to do things according to those studies - which are a minority in the world - I'd respect them, even tho I have other studies and beliefs. If I came to your country, I'd try to research your local customs and respect them - then ask you for additional info. No one is blaming consumer ignorance; just suggesting that such ignorance be replaced with accepting new information and acceptance of customs even tho they may seem quaint or even silly to others as I would his in his home.
Here's the big question:

Does the US Navy serve bananas on their ships? Do astronauts eat banana in space?
Is that who you're diving with this year...?
banana24.gif

Ask me nicely, the banana goes over the side - its your boat and your rules. Demand and we have a contest of wills. Snatch it from my hand and toss it over - on a bad day you follow on a good day your tip disappears.

Perhaps the captain didn't react very diplomatically, but it is his boat and boaters are a superstitious bunch. It might seem kooky to some, but trust me, these superstitions are often taken very seriously. If you choose to use a vessel you should understand that the captain and crew (if any good at all) are there to keep everyone safe and if they think bananas compromise that, well, that should be respected.

Basically, you all now know that bananas can be considered bad luck on many fishing boats. If you've got to have a banana, the smart thing to do would be to inquire about banana policy prior to booking. No bananas is a very common policy over here, I don't have it but I do mention it as a warning to customers who bring them on board in case they're planning on going out on other boats.

I do agree, it's rude of the Captain to throw one overboard if it's not known by the customer ahead of time, but for those who have good lawyers, it'd be curious to see if the lawyer could win a case where the customer had known the banana policy ahead of time yet still brought one on board only to have it tossed.

When in Rome...

The best I ever heard was from a charter captain in VA. He was asked over the radio about bananas and problems on his boat.
His response:
I've never had a problem with bananas on board, only with the monkeys who brought them.
Safe Dives
Charlie

wow, what a fuss over a banana.

as far as a skipper "demanding" things... a skipper also DEMANDS a max depth that must not be passed. do i think it is reasonable for a skipper to give the ok to a person who dove 120' but sit someone out who hit 121'? no, but thats the rules. in his mind it is a danger to go deeper and there are rules for this (although I don't know why this magical number is so important). likewise, IN HIS MIND, a banana is a danger. it is his boat and his responsibility to bring everyone home safe, no matter how ridiculous we think his rules are. they are his rules, abide or get off his boat. I know they tell the depth rule up front, maybe he should have his banana rule added to te briefing.

what ever happened to "respect" anyway?

My first banana educational experience happened on the dock just prior to a boarding. I quickly ate the offending object, but the captain pouted the entire trip 'cause I still brought the banana on (in my tummy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom