Bonne Terre Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawlinbo

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Bonne Terre - finding a hidden gem in the mines. My first year of diving was achieving my certification in South Beach. My second trip was a year later for a week of dives in Saba (a fantastic trip) and my third adventure was in Bonaire (wonderful) - but it was my fourth trip visiting a scuba diving friend where he introduced me to Bonne Terre, Messouri, where I had the scuba diving adventure of a life time.

Still considering myself a relative newbie to the sport, safety was paramount with experienced guides and safety divers nearby. Each dive increases with more and more adventure. Even the experienced divers in our group considered the experience mind-expanding.

Bonne Terre mines was a fully optional lead mine which was closed sometime in the 60's and allowed to flood. It seems that the mine was closed on a Friday with the miners fully expecting to return to work on Monday, which never happened. The mine was allowed to flood and the dive is full of left memoribilia and relics of a time gone by.

Diving in and through huge caverns, through and under archways, over and under deep abysses, in water that is unbeleivably clear gives an experience of deep space exploration. The event is so completely different from diving near reefs and ocean life. It combined an historical perspective with the thrill of scuba.

Don't skip this trip to Missouri. I promise, it will be an experience that you will remember for ever. Not sure??? I'm planning on returning next Memorial Day for more adventure.

You dive but the family doesn't?? They can participate in the boat or walking tours.

Need more info? Talk to Doug at Bonne Terre Mines - 314-209-7200 - or toll free 888-843-3483. I have never met a groupe of diving guides and instructors like this bunch - Absolutely everyone was friendly, knowledgeable, safety-oriented and collaborative - they made this Canuk feel right at home.

Thank you all for a truly memorable trip - I'll be back!

Bob

WELCOME TO :sblogo:
It's sounds like you have had some incredible diving! Thanks for sharing! Check out your local forum to meet up with fellow divers. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canada/ Best wishes for your continued dive adventures!

Carolyn:sharks:

IMG_1459x400.jpg

Bob,

It was my pleasure to dive with you during the Memorial Weekend. We had a spectacular time and I count on seeing you at the Mine in one year, and of course, Maya Palms Resort in January 2009!

Your buddy,

Steve

Last edited:
Bob,

Two weeks after diving together, Bonne Terre Mine hosted a Treasure Hunt. I know you would have enjoyed it. Here is a description of that day.

-Steve

Bonne Terre Mine - an underground freshwater dive resort located in the foothills of the Missouri Ozarks - recently hosted more than 180 divers for a fun day of diving at its annual Treasure Hunt. The weather for the event was outstanding with blue skies overhead and a refreshing warm breeze continually blowing through the green trees that surround the property. The weather could not have been better.

The goal of each diver was to search for tokens of various denominations that would later be used to bid for over $15,000 in dive vacations and gear that had been donated by major vendors in the dive industry.

Treasure_Hunt_6-7-08_075.jpg
Treasure_Hunt_6-7-08_055.jpg
IMG_18091.jpg

The day was made fun and manageable because divers were divided into 10 groups each with their own dive times. After watching a safety video and attending a safety briefing each group was led through the Mule Entrance and down 68 steps to an underground dock floating on the blue lake. Running the length of the Mine’s wooden dock was a bench where each diver was given a spot to set up their gear. After gear was checked by dive staff, the divers entered the water and were led to their first dive site which had been seeded with tokens of different values.

IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_17451.jpg
IMG_01661.jpg

While above the dive site, and before the hunt began, divers easily spotted tokens they wanted to be the first to reach. The dive began with the sounding of an air horn and flashing of dive lights. Each diver descended and collected tokens in their own mesh bag provided prior to the dive. Some divers later reported success lie in being weighted heavy enough to descend quicker than competing divers.

IMG_01362.jpg
IMG_00673.jpg
IMG_002312.jpg

After a set time a group of divers swam to another area to descend and begin hunting for more tokens. After two areas were hunted the divers were led back to the dock where they hiked out of the Mine to begin a surface interval and prepare for their second dive to collect more “treasure”.

IMG_18051.jpg
IMG_1774.jpg
IMG_17651.jpg

Surface interval consisted of a lot of laughing, smiling, and visiting. Some divers played lawn games and volleyball while others chatted the time away with past dive buddies. Everyone had a great time.

IMG_17521.jpg
IMG_01471.jpg

After the surface interval and a second briefing, the divers were led down to the dock to dive a second time in an area different than the first dive. Although the second dive was seeded with the same amount of tokens as the first, many divers collected significantly more tokens having learned valuable technique from talking with other divers.

IMG_00972.jpg
IMG_00259.jpg

The day ended with a BBQ dinner and auction of the prizes.

Last edited:
Nice ad for the mine. How much did he pay you?

What a coincidence. I just opened a thread asking about Bonne Terre since I will be diving it on JUly 12th and 13th. Thanks for the post! Now I am even more exited to go!

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

Bonne Terre is a do not miss dive ... you are right. So if in Missouri you need to dive there.

Welcome to the board. One of my favorite places to dive is the Bonne Terre dive. It should be on ever divers list of places to dive.

Back
Top Bottom