Fins positive or negative or neutral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What do divers prefer, fins that R positive bouyancy or fins that R negitive in bouyancy. And or the fins that R neutral bouyancy. If U prefer positive why? If U prefer negitive why? And if U prefer neutral why?
I have a set of Force fins and really like them. But being handicapped I find that they R E-Z on my hip replacement. And they R a negitive fin. So I am just looking 4 answers 2 what other divers prefer. But I would like if they were or have some bouyancy.

I use Scubapro Twin Jets that are positive bouyant. Bought them so that if I lose grip of a fin while taking them off when getting back on a boat, they float instead of sink to the bottom. Their positive nature doesn't bother me when using them.

I'd prefer positive or neutral. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those people kicking up silt in wrecks or on the sand.

P.S. I use Mares Quattros. I'm not sure whether they are positive/neutral/negative.

What do divers prefer, fins that R positive bouyancy or fins that R negitive in bouyancy. And or the fins that R neutral bouyancy. If U prefer positive why? If U prefer negitive why? And if U prefer neutral why?
I have a set of Force fins and really like them. But being handicapped I find that they R E-Z on my hip replacement. And they R a negitive fin. So I am just looking 4 answers 2 what other divers prefer. But I would like if they were or have some bouyancy.

My legs are naturally negatively bouyant, so I want fins that are enough positive to make the legs end up neutral.

Thats what floats my boat! errr, legs!

While diving it's part of the trim equation and quite comparable to wearing ankle weights or not. How you (your body your gear) trims out minus the fins tells the story.

Not wanting them to sink if you fumble one at the boat is a valid secondary criteria.

Pete

Definitiely positive. I lost a fin (velly expensive) two days ago because it was negatively buoyant. If it had been positive, then hooray! No stress dive!

Different people prefer different things. I also use ForceFins and don't even think about buoyancy of the fin I care about having a neutral trim. In my drysuit that means I have to add ankle weights, in a 3mm suit or less I don't need anything.

The ForceFins that you are using are negative, but... they aren't that negative, they are less than 1/2 lbs negative per pair. Just adding a 3mm bootie or even the comfort instep will make them neutral or even a little positive. Since they work well with your hip, it really doesn't matter what they are.

I'd prefer positive or neutral. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those people kicking up silt in wrecks or on the sand.

...er, that's a joke right? or do you have fins that are so buoyant that you 'hang' upside down during your dives? lol - in anycase and for others - practise your buoyancy skills to avoid disturbing the bottom! :wink:

As for loosing fins. I don't know, perhaps I shouldn't take the pish, but it's the same for dive knives, ok accidents happen but surely you gotta be pretty clumsy to lose one! and certainly shouldn't happen so often that it warrants you buing completely different and cheaper fins in the future unless they are just not right for you.

My fins are pretty heavy and negative, and they work for me. I guess they negativity aids the downward kick (where the main thrust is anyway), and the up kick is practically effortless due to the forward momentum anyway. As for taking the fins off - I don't think you can beat the buckle release mechanism that the Atomic Fins (mine) have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom