Titanium or Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I make custom knives for a hobby. I also own several dozen collectible knives worth much more than I want to admit. I'm a knife guy.

Real knives are made of steel. Ti can't get a knife edge. You may think you have a knife and that's just fine, but, if you've ever seen the edge of a knifemakers knife, you'll know the difference.

Make your own from ATS-34 (much easier than you think) or buy a steel knife with the highest chromium-nickel content you can find. Needs molybdenum to keep the edge.

Understandable yes, non titanium for land I agree - but the point being we're in water (salty most of the time!), and rust (at least for me) is too much of an issue to deal with - constantly cleaning and coating with oil/grease etc - and with all that grease it kinda looks disgusting anyway. Besides, it doesn't need to be razoer sharp, and with a serrated edge you'll get through most things including thick rope.

yea, the constant coating of oil and cleaning is a pain in the ass because it gets everywhere when applying and then cant be stored away with the rest of the gear

A knife is the most common thing lost by divers.

So, do you want to put a lot of $$ into something that has to be considered expendable?

What he said. Also, people tend to do stupid things when they drop a really expensive knife.

I have a set of $8 shears, and I'll be getting either a $5 plastic with steel blade line cutter, or one of these (steak knife trimmed down):

Dive Rite Econo Knife, Dive Knives, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Econo Knife

As a backup. All of that stuff is so cheap that if you forget to rinse it and have to throw it out it's not a big deal.

If you sharpen Titanium knives on one side only instead of alternating sides and try to keep the angle up around 30 to 35Deg you can have a pretty sharp knife that will never need touching up, or rinsed

yea, the constant coating of oil and cleaning is a pain in the ass because it gets everywhere when applying and then cant be stored away with the rest of the gear
It can if it's a folding knife.

Have both steel and titanium, folding and leg strap. Like my penny cutters best. And I never have to worry about sharpening them or sticking them where the don't belong..... :)

I have a folding titanium. I use it rarely, but I use it. It has a straight edge, as well as a short serration and line cutter. It's cut mono, heavy hemp weave, nylon webbing, chum, neoprene, shock cord, a sandwich or two, and a few other things. It does what I want it to very well.

When I'm done diving, I rinse my regs, clean my harness, clean and flush my wing, "sink" my wetsuit and booties, make sure my spring straps are dry, put away all my accessories, hang everything to dry.

It's a pain in the ass, but necessary.

I don't do a thing with my knife. I don't have to. It stays threaded on my harness.
I bought it three years ago, and couldn't even tell you the brand. I've had it professionally sharpened once.
I know the next time I open it, it will show zero wear, rust, corrosion, as if I cleaned, buffed, oiled, and tucked it in with its own chamois.
And, it will work just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom