Shipwreck and flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the end of the day all this whining and groaning isn't going to help. What I would suggest is diverting all these energies to better use. A can of sardines goes a long way to those affected by this disaster.

No prayers don't help...we've been praying for the Philippines for far too long.

Ora et Labora.

We are taking care of our own....out of our pocket. We have taken care of our family and employees. So, before you run your mouth you might want step up to the plate and help too. It is not whining. If you think it is whining then you are off the mark as well. Put your money where your mouth is and help. Thank you for your constructive critism.

We are taking care of our own....out of our pocket. We have taken care of our family and employees. So, before you run your mouth you might want step up to the plate and help too. It is not whining. If you think it is whining then you are off the mark as well. Put your money where your mouth is and help. Thank you for your constructive critism.

You're welcome.

....when the US Navy should have been there for us (taxpayers) during Katrina...

Just to set the record straight the US Navy WAS there after Katrina...

They sent 17 ships and were a key part of the logistical effort that took place after Katrina. They evacuated over 10,000 people and delivered almost 2 million pounds of food/water by air.

The US Coast Guard (with the primary responsibility for Rescues) did even more, rescuing more than 33,500 people who were trapped by flooding. Tell me... who did you see plucking people off rooftops immediately after the storm?

If not for the response of the US military, literally THOUSANDS more deaths would have occured. Please do not make statements that imply that we stood by and did NOTHING!

I never said our Navy WAS NOT there (or our supporting military units). LTG Honore did what he could with what he had at the time. It was too little too late. One would think that our own government would have done much better. We have people living in trailers still.....levees are bursting in Missouri.....bridges are falling all over.....highways are crumbling....
I am frustrated, pissed off, and saddened that so many have to suffer because of a lack of leadership and crappy planning. I suppose the average citizen just does what they can to survive. I know that our townspeople are suffering (as are many others). We do what we can.

Keep your head up BabyD. I understand your frustrations. I hope you get things sorted quickly back on Panay.

I never said our Navy WAS NOT there (or our supporting military units). LTG Honore did what he could with what he had at the time. It was too little too late. One would think that our own government would have done much better. We have people living in trailers still.....levees are bursting in Missouri.....bridges are falling all over.....highways are crumbling....
I am frustrated, pissed off, and saddened that so many have to suffer because of a lack of leadership and crappy planning. I suppose the average citizen just does what they can to survive. I know that our townspeople are suffering (as are many others). We do what we can.

JD, I understand that things are tough right now for you guys so perhaps you didn't mean it the way it came out.... but you did in fact say that we "should" have been there for Katrina, implying that we weren't. Go and re-read what you wrote.

I'm sorry, but that touched a nerve. I for one take great pride in serving my country. I know many people back home don't really appreciate it (although it's popular right now to talk as if they do). I was on active duty then and still am now. I know people personally who were there. We ALL wanted to go and help. Many of us asked to be sent, but we weren't allowed. We had another mission that also had to be met.

I don't really want to get into a political discussion here, wrong forum for that. Katrina is a very complex issue. It's easy to say in hindsight what should have been done. Some things the government can't fix, or protect us from, no matter how much money is thrown at it.

Putting all that aside. I can only echo what Chip said. Hang in there. We're all thankful that you are all okay. Things can be replaced. People cannot. Take care.

If the US with all their resources has problems getting it right, don't expect much from the people in power here. That said, I can understand your frustration.

As far as the US Armed Forces are concerned, they follow orders and do what they are told, they don't make government policies, they just die for them. I would bet if they had the power, they would have been there to deal with Katrina long before they were ordered in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom