'Big stuff' in Sharm - July 21st?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a huge Manta on a local dive in March this year. So for sure there are big stuff around but you also need a great deal of luck of course. Summer months are the best for big stuff so wish you a great trip. Enjoy! :)

Hi, thanks and welcome aboard! Yeah, I'm well aware nothing can be 'guaranteed', if I don't see anything, then that's just tough luck - I'm cool with that. But what would annoy me, would be going there and not even having much of a chance (would be more annoyed at myself) - so this year I think I've made it so I have the best chance I have (i.e. July). Probably should have booked to go to Marsa Alam, but wanted to do the Thistlegorm which I missed last time.

However, I've heard quite a few reports now that there is a lot of stuff currently in Sharm especially more than normal amounts of whalesharks, I just don't know if they tend to hang around the whole summer then move, or that they move around constantly (same with all the other big stuff). but only time will tell, and the more up to date reports I read the happier I get! :)

Thanks :) You should have a fair chance of seeing hammerheads but as you say - very hard tell what is going on down there hehe. But I too have heard reports on manta and whalesharks since a month back.
Be sure you leave a report on your trip here afterwards :)

Hi, you just missed the manta and whale shark season I am afraid! There were tonnes this year, some of my guide colleagues were on their 15th of the month!!! But on the plus, we are coming into hammer time and there are more and more hammers being seen the back of jackson, also a lot of white tips, there is also a huge green turtle on Jackfish Alley which is gorgeous. To see him you will need to get out on the satellite reef. I recommend some early start trips, get there before others scare everything away.
As long as your guides know what they are doing you should be fine...just hope you do not get scubadad, who is also at Iberotel...he is dreadful :wink:. Before anyone has a pop he is my dad and I am kidding, he may be old but he still rocks!

23 June 2008 back of Jackson - 1st dive of the package with Divers International (who are absolutely the most professional group I have seen in a long time!) 15 hammerheads swam with us for 40 mins. :D

Can't get the photo to upload... but I have a very nice video.

1st July 0934 until 0947 - Ras Nazrani we had a 5 metre whale shark swim with us.

The video of it is amazing.

But they are leaving now and heading south.

Hammerheads are south as well.

Sudan is the best place to see them now

hi there. i must have packed in about 50 dives in the last 5 years in sharm, generally going in may time. was there this year and as ever the water was gin clear and teaming with beautiful micro. ive seen turtles there a few times but never shark. However, this time on our penultimate day on the way back from Tiran, we happened across a whale shark for 15 minutes of the most amazing snorkelling. it was only a juvenile but still hhhuuuugggee! this was the last week of May this year.

the next day on our third dive back from Ras Mohammed, we had a manta!! both on consecutive dives. I forget which dive sites they were at, but if you speak with Instructor Vicki at Cameldive (shes great) then she'll remember - been there a few y years and it was her first whale shark!!

other than that, the tame Napoleon Wrasses at Ras Mo are always a treat. youve probably got a 40/60 chance of seeing them..

good luck!! - ive heard rumours of hammerheads off "the back of Jackson" but not for a few years now.

A

You can see some video & pics of the whale sharks, Hammerheads (Off the back of Jackson, funnily enough) on my site here: MobileMe Gallery - these were in June.

I'm off back there next week - can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom