Cape May NJ Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it really matter how he died?

TSherman.... With risk of possibly offending you....Yes it does matter how he died!

Knowing if there is a hazard on a local wreck to avoid, Finding out if this was a medical condition that was not really a diving accident, Learning from someone else's mistakes,Or even if it was a faulty piece of equipment. Knowing the answers to any of these scenarios would make you and I a better or safer diver.

Both my parents died of cancer. If the Doctors told me that I did not need to know how they died would have made my sister and possibly myself another cancer statistic and not a cancer SURVIVOR. (7 months from getting her all important cert)

I am sorry if you feel putting the facts out in print is disrespectful but I do not see it that way. I am not really a pompass jackooos...I just sound like one sometimes.
Sorry for your loss.

My only issue in this thread was the video of his body being lifted to a chopper. In due time I truly believe that the circumstances of his death if proved to be diver error are invaluable to other divers. I would never take that away from Nick either. Nick died on Friday, whoever thinks the US Coast Guard will have released the factual findings that night or saturday morning is a fool.

If I asked you the day your mother died for all the details I would expect a broken nose at the very least. At the point we are at now all anyone can do is speculate. My humble opinion is that there is no need for that until you see the report.

I know a great deal of the details, I know of his equipment, I know of his training and I don't think it matters to you or anyone else at all right now. When the time comes I am more than happy to meet anyone local to talk about it, I will also give my cell phone number if you are further away.

No one is trying to hide anything, we are just trying to show some respect to the dead, the family and his friends. I EXPECT everyone else to do the same.

All in due time!

BTW, I don't believe you to be a "jackooos". I would never want to see anyone else go through what we did, but I wouldn't want untruths and false statements. Facts are always welcome.

To restate the facts Nick surfaced around 10:15 Friday morning, he was unconscious as reported. He was loaded to a nearby boat that met the USCG who flew him to a waiting ambulance. From there he was transported to the hospital. At the hospital he was pronounced dead.

Further details will be released when they are learned and supported by official reports.

It's taken me awhile to get up the strength to visit the forums since the recent death of my very great Friend!

In his memory I would like to take 2 individual quotes from Jules Verne for all to ponder

A Strange twilight world opened up before me, and I felt as the first man to set foot on another planet, an intruder in this mystic garden of the deep.

"The Sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestral globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides."

My only issue in this thread was the video of his body being lifted to a chopper. In due time I truly believe that the circumstances of his death if proved to be diver error are invaluable to other divers. I would never take that away from Nick either. Nick died on Friday, whoever thinks the US Coast Guard will have released the factual findings that night or saturday morning is a fool.

If I asked you the day your mother died for all the details I would expect a broken nose at the very least. At the point we are at now all anyone can do is speculate. My humble opinion is that there is no need for that until you see the report.

I know a great deal of the details, I know of his equipment, I know of his training and I don't think it matters to you or anyone else at all right now. When the time comes I am more than happy to meet anyone local to talk about it, I will also give my cell phone number if you are further away.

No one is trying to hide anything, we are just trying to show some respect to the dead, the family and his friends. I EXPECT everyone else to do the same.

All in due time!

BTW, I don't believe you to be a "jackooos". I would never want to see anyone else go through what we did, but I wouldn't want untruths and false statements. Facts are always welcome.

To restate the facts Nick surfaced around 10:15 Friday morning, he was unconscious as reported. He was loaded to a nearby boat that met the USCG who flew him to a waiting ambulance. From there he was transported to the hospital. At the hospital he was pronounced dead.

Further details will be released when they are learned and supported by official reports.

I particularly understand your loss. I do not believe I know you or Nick. He has now joined my buddies, Scott Stanley, Jonathan Walsweer and Kevin Coughlin, in that great never-ending ocean. We who remain continue diving and doing what we love and what they loved. May we be strengthened from our tears. May Nick's memory be for a blessing for his family, you, and for us all.
Howard Spialter

Too many prayers, apologies and condolences. Wrong forum for all that. See forum rules for A&I.

Sorry for the lose of Nick. Rest in Peace....

TSherman .. Know it hurts a ton now. But please write down all of the details. release them to the board when you see fit. It is best to put everything in writing now as memories fade fast.

The best tribute to Nick is for all of us to learn from this tragic accident.

Very sad to hear of this story. I used to dive in New Jersey and they produce the best trained divers in the world. Very sad.

i was on the boat that picked him up. we did all we could for him. Im sure he lived a great life. You have my condolences

Back
Top Bottom