Beware buying online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that retailers that really know their stock get you to take your measurements before they try to size you. They know where the actual sizes fall into the sizing charts. Even if you order online, you can generally speak with someone about sizing before you make the purchase. That gives you an extra measure of security if something doesn't fit, and lets the seller share some of the responsibility for selecting the size. Most reputable retailers, online or not, will stand behind their own recommendations.

I ordered a shorty from Divers Supply going by the size chart they had online. I fell exactly within the range on the size so I felt comfortable ordering it. It came today and is at least one size and possibly 2 sizes too big. When I called they said to repack it, send it and order another size. They said I was responsible for paying shipping both ways. Does this seem right? This is the only thing I have ordered online. Everything else I have purchased for diving has been done through my LDS. Guess I will have to continue to give them my business.

I really think that exposure suits need to fit so well that you should get them somewhere you can try them first (or, even better get measured for a custom fit which is well worth the extra money). Get the stuff like regulators from the internet.

Having said that, a good relationship with an LDS is often well worth the extra money.

I have one rule when ordering anything online; if it involves "fit," don't order anything until I've tried the exact same model/size somewhere and know it fits perfectly. I hate the nervousness of wondering if something is going to fit prior to arrival, the disappointment if it doesn't fit, and the hassles of returns. I much prefer the anticipation of waiting for something to arrive that I know is going to fit for which I paid a bargain price.

Any non-fit accessory is basically an online price shopping exercise based upon the reputation of the seller.

My LDS fortunately often has great prices (volume dealer) or he will meet online prices within the guidelines allowed by the manufacturer. When I'm in a buying mode, I walk into my LDS armed with page prints of online prices. Plus, every Father's Day weekend he has a huge blowout sale and we always spend a bundle. This year was no exception.

:no: If I'm going to wear it I have to try it on first to make sure it fits and feels comfortable. That not only goes for scuba gear but clothing as well. I would not buy a pair of shoes from a catalog assuming that just because they look good in the picture that they'll feel good on my feet. You may find out that suits off the rack will not fit you so you'll have to get a custom made suit. It will be alot less expensive to find that out trying suits on in an LDS versus sending them back and forth thru the mail. :eyebrow:

Yeah I honestly would not buy any product online that needed to be fitted for size. Most of the stuff I bought online were accessories, dive computer, etc. that didn't have the possibility of not fitting. Although I would definitely not buy from that place again if, as others said, they didn't have you take your measurements beforehand.

My LDS fortunately often has great prices (volume dealer) or he will meet online prices within the guidelines allowed by the manufacturer. When I'm in a buying mode, I walk into my LDS armed with page prints of online prices. Plus, every Father's Day weekend he has a huge blowout sale and we always spend a bundle. This year was no exception.

I know the shop you are speaking of and bought my drysuit there a few years ago during their Father's Day June Madness Sale. I was measured for a custom suit by a representative of the suit manufacturer, and when the suit came in one of the sales staff went thru it with me to make sure that it fit properly and showed me how to take care of it. I was "very" impressed with this service. You just can't get that kind of service on-line.

Last edited:
I know the shop you are speaking of and I bought my drysuit there a few years ago during their Father's Day June Madness Sale. I was measured for the suit by a representative of the manufacturer, and when the suit came in one of the sales staff went thru it with me to make sure it fit right and told me how to properly take care of it. I was "very" impressed with this service. You just can't get that kind of service on-line.

Yep, that's place Jim. Great shop by the way with an outstanding reputation for customer service. I tend to go broke saving money there. :wink::D

It would seem to me that we need to rephrase this thread. Beware of buying online from cheesy unresearched websites without checking reviews

was i ranting

Perhaps some but the above is a gross misinterpretation - a better title would be to make it clothing related. As in, "Problems with buying clothing online"

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom