Cape May NJ Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know that he died? Article says his condition isn't known.

Unfortunately, he did die.

4 p.m. Update - A 34-year old scuba diver has died after coming up to the surface unconscious following a dive, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Chris McLaughlin.

The diving boat Bubble Trouble, out of Cape May, was 38 miles southeast of the city when a crew member radioed for help at 10:17 a.m., the Coast Guard said.

The diver had been hoisted on board the pleasure craft Baroness after he surfaced, McLaughlin said, and a helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City soon arrived on the scene.

The man, whose identity was not released, was choppered to Cape May County Airport in Lower Township and taken to Cape May Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead hours later.

According to coordinates given by the Coast Guard, the Bubble Trouble was near the location of the wreck of the USS S-5, a U.S. Navy submarine that sank in 1920.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it really matter how he died? I saw no mention of how this diver lived. He was a close personal friend on mine and the authorities have not had time to do their investigation. I as long as all who knew him would appreciate that you stick with the facts, and leave speculation to the authorities.

We are regular readers of this board, and all you will accomplish is further hurt. He was young, he was a strong diver and now he is gone.

Leave it at that.

Tsherman... You mention that he was a strong diver. Are the News reports wrong in saying it was his first dive? They may have confused it with his first dive of the day because the the wreck mentioned in the article sits at 165 feet.

They are very wrong. We just finished Naui Tech. This was in fact the first dive of the day. The wreck was between 155 and 165 fsw.

As somebody who enjoyed New Jersey diving prior to moving to the PNW, the news still feel like they hit home. My condolences.

It is tough to deal with for anyone who has dove in NJ. Its a small enough group in the vast number of divers. We had just finished with the Naui Tech/Adv Nitrox class and a dive to the RP Resor ( Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - Wreck Valley - Dive Sites - R.P. Resor Shipwreck) was going to be our last of 10 skill/check out dives.

Nick was diving the USS S5, conditions would be considered more tropics then NJ. It is just a tragic situation for a very well liked man and skilled diver.

Back
Top Bottom