Midweek Gilboa dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey gang,

Jwalko, MentalMarine, and I had just a gorgeous day of diving at Gilboa on Wed. There was only one other group of about 5 at the quarry that day and the weather was sun, sun, and more sun. The viz was down to about 30-40 ft. because of all the rain, but it was still great to get wet. During-the-week diving is kinda like owning your own quarry.

We arrived about 9:00 a.m., signed in and did our first dive. Jwalko and I went dry and Mental was wet as I took them on the Wiz Tour to the HEAD. It's now official!!; the HEAD is Grimace, and I would love to get a laminated sign and place it at the base so all who visit him will know who he is and not have to play the guessing games and get into disputes. The temp at Grimace was about 45---and I stayed dry!!!

After the first dive, we fired up Jalko's $4.95 grill and ate some great burgs and relaxed in the sun and swapped stories about the rental business. After hearing our stories, Mental will never want to invest in rental property.

I switched to my wet suit for the second and third dives because it was so warm getting geared up in a dry, and we stayed in the shallow area for most of those dives where the temp was in the low to mid 50's. Our second dive we toured the helo, boats, bus, and Enchanted Forest; very relaxing and pleasant. The fish were absolutely bold on the school bus. One grabbed my finger, and another my mask strap; they were literally in our faces all the time we were there.

After another pleasant SI, we headed south on our third dive and hugged the wall at about 35-40 ft. all the way to the south end of the quarry hoping to site the elusive paddlefish---no luck this time. During our safety stop, Mental decided to do a duff and donn (sp) on the platform; I think he was bored. He did a nice job, except that when he finished, his crotch strap was laying on the platform; he didn't tie all the loose ends up, I guess.

After that third dive, we all had that very relaxing, pleasant tiredness that comes with a day of diving. We packed up and went our separate ways at about 5:30 or so, vowing to do the midweek dive at least a couple of more times during the summer.

Just a little side note: Mike is selling these really cool lounge chairs at the quarry. They are the kind that rock back to a horizontal position from a sitting position with just a little pressure on the foot bar. I think DiverBrian had one at the M & G in April. I see this lounge advertised in catalogs for about $100 to $149 bucks. I bought one for $60 and it is of good quality. When I brought it home, my wife took it over and now I think I'm going to have to get one for myself. Check it out next time you're there.

Well, if anybody out there wants to do a during-the-week dive, give me a shout. You all have a great day.:D

Denny

Great report Denny! I love Gilboa mid-week. Unfortunately, with gas over $4 a gallon, I don't think I'll be doing many day trips this year. I'll be there 6/27-29 for a class. Maybe I can get away to join you guys in the Aug-Sep timeframe. It would sure help if gas were to come back down a bit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd love to see $2.50 gas again.

What a great day of diving. I don't think I can say any more than Denny has already said. Aside from Cottonwood all over everything, the day was just about perfect.

The dive to Grimace (and yes, it is Grimace) was nice. We swam past the tubes and stopped to check the temp (44 degrees), and then onto the Grimace. Spent a moment or two there, and turned back to the tubes and made a slow ascent up the "tower" back to the jet. There was a bit of suspended solids in the water, making it dark down deep, even though the sun was strong.

As Denny said, the second dive was relaxing. I couldn't believe the fish on the school bus...very aggressive.

The third dive was really interesting. We dove relatively shallow along the wall (above the tubes), headed south. We stopped part way and looked up, and you could see the sun shining through the water and the few trees that are there. We were below the wall, so we had this great view of the sun creating a halo around the edge of the wall...I wish I had a camera, because that is a view that I'll remember for awhile. Who says we don't have nice views in our cold water??? It was really neat.

I can't wait to do it again. Anyone wants to get together mid-week, let me know.

John

Sounds like you had a great time. I was there with rahuck and geoff127 over the weekend and we had really cruddy vis... maybe 15 feet. But, there was a lovely tornado and heavy rains that blew thru on Friday night. (Yep, I was there!) There was a lot of particulate in the water, and yes... cottonwood everywhere. :)

I'd love to get up there mid-week. I'll have to see how my schedule pans out.

See, you guys gotta listen to the bunny :D

Great report! Looking forward to getting my students up there June 28-29. Come out and join us and show my guppies what the diving experience is all about :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Sounds like fun.... I'm up for the next midweek dive if I dont have any midweek stuff going on. Actually I'm planning on going monday the 23 as long as nothing falls through. I'm driving down with somebody I work with so if anybody wants to meet us there. We'll probably do about three tanks and head back.

Denny, send me a PM next time you go cause I do not check the board that often. Also if anybody is interested in meeting there next monday send me a PM as well.

-Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom