Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing the photos. Some of them, I can't even picture where they were taken from, it looks so different. That is a real mess.

Wow, I'm speechless.
Ber

It kind of reminds me of last year with the flooding at Gilboa, except this came up MUCH faster and there obviously were no sandbags to hold the water back. This is what could have happened to Gilboa if it hadn't been for all the volunteers and employees working tirelessly. I can't even begin to fathom how long it will take for the water to recede back into the aquifer, for it to settle and clear in the quarry and for the topside infrastructure to be repaired.

Unfortunately, unlike Gilboa, Blue Springs does not have a tireless owner constantly improving the place. This is going to be a work-in-progress for a long time and it's only going to return as a dive site if the shops that use it from Indy and Cinci decide they want to get it back and invest their own time and effort to repair it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

We have many good memories at BS.

Sigh.... It looks like the season is already over.

The last picture, with the fellow standing on the edge with a gravel road behind him....where is that? I can't get a reference for it in my head.

It is on the south wall area. He was standing at the edge. The attachment was taken two years ago.

Attachments

• STB_0219.JPG
    STB_0219.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Unfortunately, unlike Gilboa, Blue Springs does not have a tireless owner constantly improving the place. This is going to be a work-in-progress for a long time and it's only going to return as a dive site if the shops that use it from Indy and Cinci decide they want to get it back and invest their own time and effort to repair it.

Well, Rick made it hard for some folks to like him going from $10/person to $20/person, and then all but calling instructors crooks as the reason for the increase.

SCUBA Shack has done alot of work there the last couple years, and for them I feel sorry. And, it IS nice having it a 40 minute drive away, however, I get treated better and have more amenities at other places. Plus, I think the pit toilets were flooded, when does the e-coli level drop? I think it would be irresponsible as an instructor to go there until I am assured that water quality is acceptable.

UNtil then, France Park, Gilboa and NSR will see my few students.

:O oh dear

Dude, what do you care??? Blue Springs is just a memory for you now that you are in God's Country :) Although, about now BS surface temp is warmer than where you're at.

Well, Rick made it hard for some folks to like him going from $10/person to $20/person, and then all but calling instructors crooks as the reason for the increase.

SCUBA Shack has done alot of work there the last couple years, and for them I feel sorry. And, it IS nice having it a 40 minute drive away, however, I get treated better and have more amenities at other places. Plus, I think the pit toilets were flooded, when does the e-coli level drop? I think it would be irresponsible as an instructor to go there until I am assured that water quality is acceptable.

UNtil then, France Park, Gilboa and NSR will see my few students.

e-coli is also a major concern I have. I would want to see test results before I was comfortable diving there again.

What about Haigh? It's actually closer by a hair than Gilboa and a great training quarry.

Another option would be Joe Clark's Falling Rock Park in La Grange KY just NE of Louisville. That would be a great option for the Cinci folks. I'm surprised they haven't moved there some time ago.

Back
Top Bottom