Does anyone have a D40X with housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikini

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone has a housing for their D40X, I would need a strobe as well and am looking for suggestions. So far my thoughts are an Ikelite housing with a dome port and a wide angle lens. Is this housing too big and bulky/heavy?

Hey
I don't have a D40x but I thought I would mention another housing option for your consideration. I am assuming you have some form of a budget; Ikelite has some nice housings but if you are looking to save some $ on a housing and put it toward a WA lens or strobe, try looking at the Fantasea line of housings. I have been using their housing for a D80 and I have enjoyed it so far. They run a little cheaper than Ikelite and quite of few people are getting great results with their housings.

Check it out! Fantasea

Gordon

Yes, the fantasea FD40x housing has been so popular they are backordered from the factory for about 6 weeks. Much lighter and comes with a standard port. Also fits the D60 if you want to upgrade. Free flood insurance on the camera body for 1 year.

Jack

So in other words, no one HAS(owns their own) a D40X housing and is using it? If so what strobe are you using? Do you have a few picture samples?

So in other words, no one HAS(owns their own) a D40X housing and is using it? If so what strobe are you using? Do you have a few picture samples?

Well, Adm. Linda, my GF, has an Aquatica D40x housing with a D40 in it. Works just fine.
And it's sitting in my bar. She's getting better pictures than she did with her Nik Vs (and
she had some good contest placings with the Nik V). She uses it with Nikon SB-105
strobes in manual mode. She's had it since last fall. She won a tropical trip with it in
the recent California Beach Dive Photo Competition.

Assembly is a touch fiddly but I wrote up some instructions and printed them out, and
no problems since (if anybody with that housing wants the instructions, then e-mail me
(triblet@garlic.com)).

Linda looked at the Ikelite housing (a bit cheaper, but would have required buying Ike
synch cords, which made it more expensive (we have a mess of Nikon single cords).
And the Fantasea touched off all my engineer synapses in a negative way. (there's a
reason it's cheap. Also seems to be a reason they have the flood guarantee).

Linda did add a float around the macro port because the system was more negative
than she was used to (I thought it was light weight compared to my RS), and the
float was for something else, and I had to modify the velcro on my sewing machine.

She hasn't gone wide-angle with thecD40 yet -- waiting for a motor version of the
10.5.)

Hey Chuck - that sounds like a winner, now I'm thinking I might have to get a housing, how does that one small 105 work with that big housing?

Hey,
I'm using my ikelite housing for my dx7590 and have just came back from Cozumel. Have enjoyed my camera and people are impressed with the housing. Check with Leisure Pro for underwater housings for your dx and yes it is heavy but not underwater. Have used it for 3 years now.

I've actually heard some pretty good things about the Fantasea D40x housings. Worth considering them if you're opting the plastic route. I have never heard of a Fantasea flooding yet from any of our members, but then again I have no idea how many out are there. I do know that they go through rugged testing. One of our members is one of their diving/photography testers in Israel. They and Ike are your only two options on the less expensive side of things. Inevitably you'll want to upgrade a in 18-24 months anyway. Nikon is banging out new SLR's like it's going out of style!

Back
Top Bottom