Clueless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
ok so i am looking to purchase a speargun in order to go fishing this weekend! I have done some research and it looks like JBL is a brand i should stay away from. what i need to know is what brands are good for ling cod fishing? I think Mare spearguns look good but im not sure. please help

-nikos

Nothing wrong with JBL guns. My son shot a 28 inch Ling with the smallest JBL made. D6 carbine I use an Explorer 22 and have no problem. My rule of thumb is buy cheap, beat the crap out of them, work on shot placement and bring home plenty of fish. This rule mostly applies to bottom fish where distance is not an issue. Shot placement is the key to good spearfishing it is what separates the average from the great spearfishermen. Most of my shots are point blank where the spear never leaves the gun. I haven't done any open water spearing but I know my gun would not work because of shot placement. If you can't reach the fish with enough penetrating power you can't place the shot. Again if the fish is too big for shot penetration then no shot placement need a bigger gun with more power.

hey thank you for the advise, my original plan was to actually purchase a jbl. you have a good point to go get the gun and beat the hell out of it. if i like it then i can upgrade later down the line. thank you again!

I use a 36 AB Biller (mahogany version) for everything and it hasnt given me any problems. I agree with the previous post about the shot placement. In my experience, the shots you make on ling cod are not going to be very long. If you find you need more power you can also upgrade the bands. Happy Hunting.

Incredible! I finally found someone NOT trashing JBL besides me. Personally, I own several of their high end guns and I never had a problem other than blooding my boat deck but please.. don't tell someone who just spended $2,000.00 on a gun and came home with NADA to show for it.

Please play safe out there!

I agree my son and I use there low end guns and have plenty of fish in the freezer. Over the Memorial 3 day weekend saw a guy with a very nice JBL Woody with a spinner tip but was afraid to shoot it. I think he was afraid of damaging the tip. Took me 1/2 hour to sharpen my tip after the weekend. Kind of shot a lot of rocks. And most of the time your going to hit rocks through the fish. Just part of the cost of spearfishing.

Back
Top Bottom