Wetsuit for big guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that you haven't gone to the time, expense, and hassle of a custom suit yet. You probably fit rather well into a Pinnacle size King 2 suit, especially one of our Merino-Elastiprene suits because of the high stretch.

The measurements for the King 2 are as follows:
Height 5'10" to 6'1"
Chest 46" to 50"
Waist 40" to 44" at the navel
Hips 46" to 50" at the navel
Inseam 28" to 31" from crotch to ankle bone

Standard pricing - no extra charge for larger guys.

In stock now - no waiting.

What waterman stated is an absolute myth. My custom wetsuit was less than most top rated rack suits. It wasn't a hassle to order and the suit was in my hands in less than a week. A friend of mine tried and tried to get a rack suit that would fit him. The LDS kept ordering one size after another. This went on and on. Finally, I convinced him to order a suit from Liquid Fit. He couldn't have been happier. Also, should you lose weight, Liquid Fit will alter the suit once for free. My advise to you is to seriously consider a custom wetsuit that you know will fit you properly.

Good luck,
SWT

I am very glad that you had a great experience with your custom suit. I recommend that people go for a custom suit all the time - if their situation requires it. There are people with body shapes and sizes that definitely require a custom suit. (In the spirit of full disclosure, we do NOT make custom suits for people, though we do alter suits - sometimes quite dramatically. When I recommend a custom suit, I point people in the direction of other companies.)

However, some people who do not require a custom suit get sold into it. This almost always costs significantly more than a stock suit, and sometimes the suit is not as good. There is also the problem of consumer expectations whereby a consumer paying the incremental price and using the term "custom suit" expects that it will fit as good as a second skin, and if it has even the slightest wrinkle or gap, they are disappointed.

The bottom line is that there are those who require alteration to standard suits and there are those who require complete custom suits. Those people should get what they need. All I was doing was letting a person who felt that he needed a custom suit know that there are stock suits that come in his size. No "absolute myths".

There are solutions other than custom. When I started diving I was 6'3" and 427 pounds. I found an Akona 5xl 3mil farmer john and got by. I am now down to 270 and just got a Pinnacle 5mil Merino Elastoprene. The 3xl fits me like a glove and trust me, I'm still not shaped like your typical model. This is my 2nd Pinnacle and if I decide it isn't warm enough for our winter water I'll look at either their dry or semi-dry when the budget allows.

Regarding custom suits, IF you have to go that way do. But, I guarantee you won't get all the features in a custom for the same money. There are a lot of things that contribute to the comfort and warmth of a suit besides just thickness and fit.

Try the Pinnacle Merino/Elastoprene in the King 2 size and I bet you'll be thrilled. If you don't have a Pinnacle dealer close you can order one and if it doesn't fit you can return it for a different size with no freight charges.

Go custom. Terrapinwetsuits.com. Talk to Chris Summers. Not that much more expensive than off the shelf and you get perfect fit and almost any color you want.

waterman, can you explain something to me.......how can the same suit fit a person that is 5'10" then fit a person 6"1". Does the 5'10" person have three inchess too much length or does the 6'1" have three inces too short?? My brother is 6'1" and the majority of his height is in his torso. There is no way he would fit into your suit.
The other big gripe I have about rack suits is for the female diver. Most manufacturers seem to think that we are all tiny and petite. I'm your typical size 14 and couldn't find any rack suit to fit me. Yes, I did try the Pinnacle suits. Hope that you will listen and make your suits to fit real people!!!
SWT

I'm about your size and it sounds like we have a similar build.

For me, the key wasn't size so much as stretch. I spent a miserable 2 hours trying on rental suits for my OW. All of them were older neoprene styles, very stiff, so nothing fit right, and it was torture trying to get them on. The only one that came near fitting was was a 3XL, what was way long in the arms and the legs...diving with it was not fun.

When it came time to buy, I got a Henderson Hyperstretch in only single XL. It is just a tad long in the arms, but it is flexible enough so a tug here and there, and it is not a problem. I'm thinking that at 6' (I'm 6' 1"), a lot of the 2XL+ suits are going to be real long on you.

saltwater taffy,

As you suggest the suit sizes are generalities and each brand interprets the typical body in a different manner. Another gotcha you mention is torso length. I happen to be long there and that throws the suit sizes off.

3 inches of body height is easy to absorb in a suit. The stout diver will have a slightly different feel than the taller one but the circumferences will still be right and within reason they are the big drivers of good fit.

Have you looked at the Bare sizing? They have some variants that make room for many normal people.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom