The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, we dove with Kev again Saturday morning. This time the currents were cooperating, although the water temps were still a bit chilli. I was shooting my 60mm lens this time. It was a good thing too, as Kev took us to one spot that had close to 100 Spotfin Butterflyfish congregated together.

1211771192_Butter-Hamlet-copy.jpg

Butter Hamlet

This guy is probably my favorite from the dive, as they are not as common and are really hard to get near.
1211771324_Longsnout-Butterflyfish-cop.jpg

Longsnout Butterfly

1211771357_Spotfin-Butterflyfish.jpg

Spotfin Butterfly
Beautiful. Love the long snout butterfly. Only have ever seen one, and it was off Boynton Beach.

:D
It is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know your not talking about Chip's humility.... everyone knows that died long ago.....

Hey, we sure had some good water blow in on Saturday. The water was warm, about 80º. The current was so slight for most of the weekend that we actually had to swim, and there were turtles everywhere.

Viz was around 80' out on Black Condo. We had a great group from Daytona all day on Saturday and did the following dives:
Black Condo, Gazebo, Gulfstream and Lynn's. It seemed to me that the viz deteriorated as the day went on, dwindling down to 45' or so on Lynn's. Even the 45' vis was nice though, because the water was still pretty and blue. The highlight for me was what I believe to be the curious dark skinned hammerhead. He stayed away from our group... he must have seen that I was carrying a camera.

Daytonaclub.jpg

We had pretty clear water out on Black Condo.

turtle2-1.jpg

There were turtles everywhere all weekend long. The hammerhead is actually about 20' behind and to the right of this hawksbill, up on top of the reef. By the time my camera was ready to take another picture, the shark was just a speck in the frame.

ray-1.jpg

A ray cruised by, giving us a break from all of the turtles.

turtle1.jpg

Another turtle.

The water Sunday was a little bit green for the first 30 feet or so, but the water below was still nice and blue like it was on Saturday. Viz was about 60' or so and the water was still about 80. Also the word for the day was still turtle. Kbeck came along and so did the world famous salsa dancer and squid researcher, Naoko! I can't remember what we did for the first dive... I think it was Briney Breezes. We did Lynn's reef for the second one though, and even made it across the jump. The current was slight to moderate and to the north. At one point I came across a cave in the ledge that had white smoke billowing out of it. I thought that some kind of coral of sponge or something was spawning, and I thought... "Gosh isn't it odd that this coral or sponge is only spawning on this tiny area of the reef!" Suddenly, an enormous head peeked out at me and I realized that it wasn't spawning coral at all. It was a fire breathing turtle!

P1010006sm.jpg

The "spawn".

P1010007sm.jpg

Out pokes a big ole noggin!

P1010008s.jpg

Fire breathing turtle are fun to take pictures of because they're not afraid of people. They think that they're pretty bad dudes, and that if something goes down and a diver does something stupid, they'll just torch 'em. They're not overly clever though, and don't really get the whole water puts out fire thing.

P1010013s.jpg

Now that's a good looking fellah.

P1010001s.jpg

Kbeck quietly skirts another sleeping loggerhead. I guess some turtles hide better than others.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom