Just Tell Me What To Buy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is enough to drive me insane.

I am still working on picking out my first regulator....

1. Sherwood Blizzard
2. Dive Rite RG3000 ICE
3. Oceanic Delta 4/FDX-10
4. Aqualung Legend ACD Supreme

Ok...
1. I can get it from the LDS for an unbelievably low $244, and seems like a good solid regulator. I have heard a number of people mention that it might breath wet...
2. Great warranty, great service interval, comes in DIN w/ Yoke adapter, can get it from scuba toys for $399. But, a dive shop in Florida mentioned that they had people bringing them in for free-flowing, or problems with water flooding at moderate depths. Can't find a single review on it...
3. DVT looks neat, used by NOAA, nice swivel design, can get it from LeisurePro for $344. Only downside that I can see is that if I wanted DIN I would need to buy conversion kit and yoke adapter. Also, the DIN conversion kit removes the DVT.
4. Love the ACD (especially with DIN), seems like a solid performing regulator, never heard anything bad about them. BUT hard to find a deal on them, LDS wants lots of money for these, AL doesn't allow purchases online which is simply annoying and I would rather not support that type of business model...

The dive shop in Florida also told my I should consider going with a piston reg. Only #1 is a piston design.

Is there anything I am missing? I just don't want to make a poor decision. Based on features alone #2 has been been my top pick for a long time, but having my instructor tell me about problems has sort of scared me away from it.

What I really want is a regulator that will perform well in all conditions, although extreme cold water is something I will probably never encounter. Deep water is much much more likely (I plan on taking AOW this summer) I want something reliable, rugged, and easy servicing.

If anyone can set my head straight it would be appreciated.

Sam

Cant go wrong with a Dive Rite, though not sure you need the cold water attachment. I havent used the new second stage, but I have the same first stage, and the older second stage and alternate. They perform well, and are simple and dependable.

I have the Atomic T2 Reg and i can tell you all my dive instructer are drooling over the fact that it breaths as if your on the surface. Best Reg i have ever used. Only thing though its pretty pricy!

I have the Atomic T2 Reg and i can tell you all my dive instructer are drooling over the fact that it breaths as if your on the surface. Best Reg i have ever used. Only thing though its pretty pricy!

Must agree. If you just want to be told what to buy ... buy Atomic. I have 2 of the ST 1's, 2 of the B2's and will soon have an M1. Absolutely wonderful regs. But rather pricey. Atomics are piston reg's.

I don't think there is much difference between the balanced piston regs, and the diaphragm models other than different designs. Regs have become so good in the breathing department, that it takes machines far more sensitive to pressure differences vs. the human body to make a determination on how well they breath. Gotta love that shops pimp what they sell, and will tell you things like the piston is better than the diaphragm models, which is simply not true.

I would look for a reg as much based on service vs. anything else. IOW's if you can get one serviced for less, or if the parts are easy to replace by the diver for a service I'd go with that over something that is more difficult/expensive to get serviced.

I don't do Atomic much even if they make great stuff. They are just overpriced in this market, and refuse to allow mail order. However I do have a subframe mask, so there is the exception to the rule! :D

I dive a Zeagle DSV with a ZX second and have been nothing but pleased with it. Not sure if the reg is still made in the USA, but at least Zeagle has a factory presence in the USA which is more than I can say for most reg manufactures. Zeagle can service anything they sell in their FL facility, and that is something to consider.

I have started getting my regs serviced via the mail, but that is a personal choice, and driven by the fact that my LDS is charging around $125 to service my setup. I can get it done online for a lot less even with shipping factored in.

I also have a ScubaPro MKII first, and an Oxycheq Second that ran me under $150, and it breaths well, but is detuned as a backup.

It's a difficult choice, but the good news is that since they all breath so well, you really can not go wrong.

Ron,

How much do you pay for the service,via mail,including shipping?

You may not really need any of those regs if you plan to dive locally. No real need for cold water attachment. I will second the Zeagle set up mentioned since I use the same. Zeagle is located in Florida as well. It really comes down to what can easily be serviced near you. I don't think there's any benefit to piston regs and I've been under the impression that diaphragm was better. You may want to search on here the debate between the two instead of this whole thread getting taken over by it.

I'll third the Zeagle suggestion, I have 2 DSV's and 2 Flathead VI's, and I couldn't be happier.

Must agree. If you just want to be told what to buy ... buy Atomic. I have 2 of the ST 1's, 2 of the B2's and will soon have an M1. Absolutely wonderful regs. But rather pricey. Atomics are piston reg's.

I use the Atomic M-1 and am VERY happy with it!

I would go with Delta 4,its going to be the smoothist breather out of the ones you listed.
However,i cannot believe that Scubapro MK17/G250v is not on your list.
If it where i would choose it.:D

Back
Top Bottom