Quadra shore dives this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overandunderwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A bunch of us are heading to Quadra this weekend. We have Mike's charter, out on Sat and Sunday and a house on the water not too far from the ferry. I hear that currents are real tough there and shore dives could be problematic, does anyone have any sugestions or protected cove locations?

Have a chat with Mike hes one of, if not the most knowledgeable operator in the area. Please don't try shore diving on the inside of Discovery Passage without a very experienced local. The currents and the up-welling down-welling are very dangerous. Tide and current tables are deceiving compared to the sites...but it looks nice for this weekend. If you want to shore dive head to the eastern side of the island. Moulds Bay is a popular spot and also Weiwekia Beach...might not have spelt it right. The vis has been 30' at best lately.
Have fun and stay safe.

Thank you so much, this will be my first experience in BC waters and I am looking forward to it. I have Mike's number, I'll give him a call once we get up there.

-Randy

2nd that advice. Discovery Passage even with a knowledgeable local is tricky. Recall one dive where 6 divers jumped off the boat within a minute or two of each other and at the end of the dive the three buddy pairs were easily half a mile apart in three different directions. We (one buddy pair) surfaced part way through the dive, got picked up and started again because we ended up in the middle of the bay on mud flats. The difference in a couple of minutes or a few feet one way or another can send you off into completely different directions. The currents are strong and not entirely predictable.

The other side of the Island is not so radical and you might even be able to do the Columbia as a shore dive, I seem to vaugely recall it is not too far out from shore, and is out of the current, but have not done it that way.

Oh, as Darnold9999 said...loosing a buddy happens to a lot of people. Multi profile diving can be confusing if you are briefed on it makes it easier. example...90' you are going south...50' your going north...30' your heading south again...and you usually get a nice drift safety stop.

Have fun
Also...there is a open water class (4 students) at Moulds Bay on Sunday 11am. If you show up there Mike will give you the best dive briefing you will ever get.

How did it go?

Diving was frigging fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike of DynaMike is a great guy and has the currents down pat. If we got to the sight and he didn't like it, he'd wait until he was sure the currents were perfect. Most dive operators would have worried about fuel and time and threw us in. A typical day would be a morning dive then an afternoon. Locking up our gear on the boat saved all that lugging of equipment which we all enjoy. We'd go home, take a nap and go diving again. Our sites were Seymour Narrows, Steep Island; Middle of the Road, Row and Be Damned and a night dive outside the harbor to the right (I can't remember the name). It was some of the easiest diving I've ever done, as long as you don't try and fight the current. I'd be able to hold myself comfortably in place to take a picture then take off again. Our dives averaged about 50 minutes and I don't think any of us went past 95, all the good stuff was above 70.
The people on Quadra were awesome. Everyone was friendly, always had a minute to talk and give directions and were basically just nice people. There's a fishing boat going into Heriot Bay on Friday's which sell fresh prawns and I have to tell you if you ever pass up the opportunity to buy and BBQ them you are crazy. I've never had sweeter shellfish. I cannot wait to go again---soon. Thank you everybody for all the suggestions.

Randy

Glad you had fun...Mike Richmond is the man...he knows the currents.

Back
Top Bottom