UW housing for my NIKON D80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maLUCo

Reaction score
I am new into UW photography , but using my NIKON D80 while skydiving. I would like to have your opinion on a good housing and which are good lenses w. ports and flashes.
Any good on-line shops to buy this equipment ?
Any recomendations on lenses , curently I have :
NIKON 10,5 Fisheye
NIKON 18-55mm
NIKON 70-300mm
Thanks, maLUCo

How much are you willing to spend??

Ikelite is a good housing.....Sea & Sea is better housing.....Subal is a cadillac....

Of the lenses you listed, the 10.5 is very good underwater but can be hard to shoot & hard to light. The mid-range zooms (18-55) are used by some people but are not great at either end. The port required for the 70-300 would be too long to be practical.

Other good Nikon lenses: 60mm f2.8, 105mm f2.8
Sigma: 15mm f2.8 FE
Tokina: 10-17

This all my opinion and YMMV,
Dave

Don't forget Fantasea housings! I use one for my D80 and got some good stuff in Bonaire. I wrote a review somewhere around here, just do a search.

Fantasea

Gordon

I would really recommend Reef Photo. They are about as far away from Seattle as you can get, but I have found their service and support to be awesome.

For me there was quite a bit of hand-holding moving into DSLR underwater photography. It's is not just matching cameras and lenses, but matching ports and port extensions with lenses, strobe electronics, camera & housing care and maintenance. Reef did (and continues to do) a great job helping me through the learning curves.

For what it is worth, I settled on a Subal rig, and it is great. The design and ergonomics are wonderful, the neutral bouyancy is a marvel, and it is fun to use. My dive buddy has an Ikelite, and it works great for him.

Have fun!

Dan

D80 options are slowly disappearing so housing it in the near future is a great idea. I know as of right now Ikelite, Subal and Aquatica still have housings available. Sea & Sea is now sold out, Aquatica recently decided to do another run of them.

All companies are great and each have their own qualities. Budget is of course the main concern as there is a significant price difference amongst them all.

As for lenses, the 10.5 and 18-55 are great. I highly suggest the new Nikkor 60mm Macro! GREAT lens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom