Housing for Canon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi; If you have dimensions of the grip, let me know. I can measure then if the retrofit is easily done.
The blak plastic base plate on which the camera is mounted can be taken off by 2 screws. The pin can be pulled out with a plier.

Regards from Holland

very interesting.....I think I can do that! Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pics! Yes, the weather here is crappy--we have been without power for almost 4 days.

Good morning from Miami FL.. I just purchased the Ike housing for my G9 and realized that the grip I added was in the way.. not wanting to give it up I searched the board and here you were with the same issue.. So... how did the moving of the pin go? and was it hard to do? before I pull it out and drill a new hole to move it over. Would love to hear from you.. THANKS

Hi Bob,

I have had some things come up and havent gotten around to that. There are so many nice people here on the board willing to help out. I have not purchased the grip kit yet either....I dont go diving until Thanksgiving week so I have been kind of lazy getting anything done at this point. Check the previous poster--he said he would be willing to do it--I have just been slammed at work and there is no time!

Keep in touch!

Thanks for the reply Okie.. This morning I took the plunge.. I unscrewed the camera mounting board from the housing, tapped out the pin, mounted the camera on the board and marked where I wanted it. Then I used the other pin as a reference as that is inline on the camera body and drilled a new 1/8th inch hole using a drill press. I tapped the old pin into the new hole and it's like it was meant to be there !! I'll send some pics when I get a chance...

COOL! I would love to do this, please send some pics when you get the chance!

Here they are !! Just make sure the new pin hole is the same distance from the front of the mounting plate as the pin left in. Also, make sure it is over far enough to hit the flat part of the camera.. The grip is a great add-on, I hated the thought of having to remove it from the camera. Good luck on the fix..

Attachments

• G9 new hole1.jpg
    G9 new hole1.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 65
  • g9 mounted.jpg
    g9 mounted.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 72
HI;-Ikelite allows you to use the rotary control, the aperture control becomes very intuitive then! On the Canon you do not have this control, and you need 2 hands to do this.
Karel

This is the main reason I did not buy a G9. I don't want to spend the money on an Ikelite housing and I don't want to have to use two hands to change shutter speeds and aperture settings on the Canon housing.

The A650IS is the sister camera with the same CCD but doesn't have RAW and a hot shoe and does not have the dial on the back. I don't know if you have to use two hands to change those settings as I don't have a store here that has the A650 in stock for a hands on inspection.

Out of curiosity, is the handle on the Ikelite housing removable? If I go for the Ikelite housing, I'd rather use my YS-60's assuming there's a tripod socket on the Ike.

Phil

The tray and handle are removeable to allow you to add a tray with 2 handles which allows for using 2 strobes. If you are only going to use the internal strobe on the camera I guess you could dive with just the case, the handle does give you something to hang on to when you are handing your camera up to the boat after a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom