Considering the Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5 ML

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanBMW

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
and have a few questions: How long does it take to dry between dives? I presently use a Henderson Gold that is old and needs to be replaced and drys very quickly. What about the wool liner? Does it smell? I'm the one who admits to peeing in his wet suit! It was an accident! Even with a good rinse, does the Pinnacle smell when wet? What about dry? Has anyone switched from the Henderson Gold to the Pinnacle Merino? How did they compare to warmth?

I just made the switch from the GC to the Pin ME in 5mm. Only dove it once so far. It did appear to be warmer. But I had a hard time donning (size it right) which may just be a techniques problem. I had to get help to get it zippered after the 10mm back spline caught in the zipper a couple places (small tears). My impression is it will be much slower drying than the GC. Will give it another shot today.

Thanks.... Looking forward to further comments.

It's definitely much slower drying. It is a bit more comfortable than the GC and less restrictive to movement. I've got some work to do on donning technique. At this point I will have to continue using the GC for solo diving.

I probably would not get another GC. It worked well but the neoprene in the legs stuck together and separation caused some tearing. I repaired it with neoprene cement but it does require extra care in handling.

Greetings from Indiana DanBMW. I have some experience with the Pinnacle 7mm and dive buddy wears a 5mm. Both suits have been impressive as well as warm. Usually we wear hooded vests and have little trouble staying warm. The merino wool actually is supposed to be more smell resistant and in my experience seems to work. I have dove mine quite a bit and it still smells like new. Dry times are probably not a lot different, I like to turn mine inside out and hang in the sun if done diving or while off gassing. I would highly recommend the Elastiprene, I love mine and will replace it with another when the time comes. Good luck and make sure you get the right size! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Get some wax for the zipper. Just ask your LDS for the wax used for dry suit zippers. Mine was difficult at first. The owner gave me some wax. I went home and ran it over the zipper when it was fully closed. It now opens and closes so much easier. Not sure how often it will need to be applied. My guess is it should be done after each day of diving.

Thanks all for the quick responses. I can buy a Bare suit for 1/2 off and just wanted to confirm paying more and getting moneys worth. Henderson Gold does dry very quickly, almost as soon as it's off, but on multiple dives, that's not a big deal. I do like to stay warm and usually wear a hooded vest too. Concern was for travel and the trip home.

I have the pinnacle merino-elastiprene 7 mm and it is way warmer than the other 7 mms i have tried, so I can only assume the 5mm is the same. It does take a little longer to dry, but developing a smell doesn't seem to be a problem. Someone suggested that I dry it inside out, but seems to make it dry a bit slower, but in my mind that is helping to keep the merino smelling fresh (or i could just be imagining it). either way - great suit - I chose it over a higher priced waterproof and have not been disappointed.

Hey Dan,

Dove my Pinnacle 5mm Elastiprene for close to 40 dives on the Ocean Rover in Thailand this past February. Killer suit!! Notable points:

> Incredibly warm: I'd notice a bit of water in the suit upon initial descent that would be immediately warmed by my body heat. The suit seals like a mason jar--between the chimney seals in the ankles and the skin-in wrists and neck, there is simply no water movement to speak of in the suit. I always get cold by the end of a liveaboard trip and this was NOT the case on this one.

>Easy to don: I found the suit MUCH easier to don than my Henderson Gold Core. The trick for me was NOT to wet the interior before donning, as I had learned to do with the gold core. When the wool lining is soaking wet, it's hard to pull on. That said, I often dove within two hours of the last dive and, with the suit on a hanger in the shade for that period of time, it was plenty dry enough to put on without a single heavy yank or tug. (Of course, any well-fitting wetsuit is going to require SOME effort, but this was well within reason).

>Durable as hell: Four or five dives a day, for 10 days or more have always been enough to cause rips, tears, or out and out seam deconstruction of my gold cores. The Pinnacle held up mightily. The only sign of wear at all after the trip is a very slight creasing in the neoprene in some of the binding areas like behind elbows and knees.

>Comfort: My skin is very sensitive to "itchy" materials, especially wool! I experienced just the slightest prickling when I first wore the suit, but quickly forgot all about it. That ribbed lining (which held up impeccably as suggested above) is what creates your own water insulation suit. It's truly remarkable how well it works.

Feel free to ask me any further questions. I'll bet you're gonna love that suit!

Best,

To add to the above----I'm an "accidental" wetsuit pee-er as well. I do have to say I was advised NOT to observe that practice-- the wool will supposedly retain more than you'd like. I haven't yet had to prove the accuracy of the advice. Otherwise, there is absolutely no odor in the wool lining, nor have I noticed any but the usual wet-neoprene smell on the outer surface.

Also, I may not have made fully clear that my 5mm Pinnacle is LOADS warmer than the 5mm Gold Core--and I'm talking the regular Gold Core, not the Hyperstretch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom