Ratfish at Cove 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overandunderwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen dozens of ratfish of all sizes in Puget Sound but last night three of us had quite an amazing experience. Last night my friends Katie, Bud and I did a night dive, entering the water about 830p. Just north of the Honeybear we spotted a rather large ratfish. Immediately we noticed that he seemed interested in us. At first I thought he was following our lights, hunting but that wasn't it. Bud hung over us, Katie and I were on the bottom kneeling and this ratfish coming right up to us, looking us in the eye, inches from our masks. He checked out our gear, swam under my hoses, and seemed very sure of him/her self. This fish, was very curious and stayed with us for about 15 minutes. He'd brush up against us, very gently with no aggression. I got the distinct feeling he was enjoying the novelty. I wanted to pass this on, it was a great experience, more so as it came from such an unexpected source.

I have had the same experiance at Mukilteo. They would swim right at us hitting us. They seemed to be interested in the lights too. They would swim right into it hitting the lense. Wiered!

Really? Now I'm wondering if they are more curious then we give them credit for? Most of my experience with these guys were in daytime. Judging by their large eyes I'd say they are nocturnal or at least low light level creatures and just feel more comfortable at night. Hopefully he/she will be there next time. Now that I'm thinking about it he wasn't too far from the new memorial there in Cove 2, I'd say East of it on an angle to the Honey Bear.

For years, I have had Ratfish follow me around on a dive. It is just one of the cool things about diving in the PNW!

Seen ratfish almost everytime at Alki2. Have to say they have always come up for a look see.

With their big eyes and their pretty sociable behavior, they've always reminded me of puppies. I love ratfish.

Go on a night dive at Three Tree N. and on most nights you will see your fill of Ratfish. They're one of my favorite local marine creatures too by the way!

I can tell gcbryan, nice avatar. I've always liked them, too bad about their name as I think they deserve something with a little more resepect then Ratfish of Chimera but we weren't asked.
I haven't done a night dive there yet, it's been on my list. At night does one go right or left or does is matter?

I can tell gcbryan, nice avatar. I've always liked them, too bad about their name as I think they deserve something with a little more resepect then Ratfish of Chimera but we weren't asked.
I haven't done a night dive there yet, it's been on my list. At night does one go right or left or does is matter?

Well, you can do either depending on the tidal exchange and current. As you enter and are facing the water, heading left will put you in more current than going right because you're headed toward the point. Most of the features are to the right anyway.

What you should REALLY do is go with someone who knows the area on your first time there. Otherwise, you may miss everything and/or get into trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom