Trip Report Bahamas Cat Ppalu & Stuart Cove’s Dive Trip Apr 25 to May 5, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our divemaster Vivian was very accomadating with us especially since we had her with just our group the first day, Normal dive times for the group was suggested to be 45 minutes most dives.

I did a trip on the Cat Ppalu back in Feb 2005 and just booked another trip for the week of Feb 28th 2009.....can't wait, dollar for dollar it's some of the best money I've spent on a dive vacation.
If you go to my photo albums, I have one from my 2005 trip.

Recently finished my 4th trip on the Cat Ppalu, May 10-16, 2008. I've already booked the boat for next year! We did many of the same dives as posted by Steve previously. We were force to stay on the lee side of the islands because of the winds, but still had a fantastic time. We did two drift dives at Wax Cut Cay and the "Washing Machine" which were really amazing. We saw turtles, lobsters, and sharks on almost every dive. I recommend anyone to spend some time at "Camp Driftwood" while you are there. You give up one dive but it is definitely worth it. We spent the afternoon kayaking through the mangroves, exploring the island creeks in the dinghy, jumping off the rocks, and just plain relaxing.

I can't say enough nice things about the crew. Gavin and Michelle are amazing. As far as the various crew members go, I think Blackbeards has some of the best people in the industry.

Recently finished my 4th trip on the Cat Ppalu, May 10-16, 2008. I've already booked the boat for next year! We did many of the same dives as posted by Steve previously. We were force to stay on the lee side of the islands because of the winds, but still had a fantastic time. We did two drift dives at Wax Cut Cay and the "Washing Machine" which were really amazing. We saw turtles, lobsters, and sharks on almost every dive. I recommend anyone to spend some time at "Camp Driftwood" while you are there. You give up one dive but it is definitely worth it. We spent the afternoon kayaking through the mangroves, exploring the island creeks in the dinghy, jumping off the rocks, and just plain relaxing.

I can't say enough nice things about the crew. Gavin and Michelle are amazing. As far as the various crew members go, I think Blackbeards has some of the best people in the industry.

I am interested in going to the Bahamas for some diving. I was concerned because I heard that the reefs were getting hit pretty bad with a lot of algae ( mostly in the last 2-3 years). I was curious as to your opinion of the health of the reefs in the Exumas because you have been on the Cat Ppalu for several years. Any observations that you (or others) might have would be appreciated.

I would definitely DISAGREE with Papa Bear's summation, although he is entitled to his opinion, however wrong I believe him to be. While there may be some other worthwhile destinations in the world. Dollar for dollar, it is a great value and some great diving. To say they are crap is not accurate. Everyone has their favorite places to dive, but to bash a truely beautiful place and an excellent dive boat is the wrong thing to do. I like the Exumas and love the cat Ppalu.

I would definitely DISAGREE with Papa Bear's summation, although he is entitled to his opinion, however wrong I believe him to be. While there may be some other worthwhile destinations in the world. Dollar for dollar, it is a great value and some great diving. To say they are crap is not accurate. Everyone has their favorite places to dive, but to bash a truely beautiful place and an excellent dive boat is the wrong thing to do. I like the Exumas and love the cat Ppalu.

Thanks for the update. I know that the opinions posted on the boards are subjective, so I appreciate all of the feedback I can get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom