50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

61, live in north San Diego county. Got certified locally, with my wife, for a trip to Jamaica in 2002. We've since dived Bonaire twice, Florida keys twice, and Belize. You might note there's a warm-water theme going. I finally talked my wife into Catalina two years ago August, and she's now got no remaining doubts about not wanting to do any more cold water diving.

I'm still thinking I might want to (even bought a 7-mil and weights on Craigslist), but haven't made the effort to try to find a local dive buddy my "speed", which speed is about what you'd expect for a vigorous 61. I don't like partying, so what I see of most dive clubs is a turn-off.

I mostly use Ocean Enterprises as my LDS, but I've never done any diving with them, just equipment purchases (I also use internet). I certified with a different shop.

Still just OW, but thinking maybe I'm ready for AOW, even if just to get some more diving in.

Why do you want so many folks to wish you were dead??

[quote/ You can have my tank banger when you pry it from my cold dead fingers./Quote]

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
This thread's still alive?
Ok...
I live in Montgomery, AL
I dive anywhere I can - this morning I'm heading for Lake Martin
The only shop in town is Adventure Sports II
SSI DCSI(TXR);Trimix;Cave
:D
Rick

Hometown: Stann Creek, Belize
Dive spots: Belize, Philippines
Favorite shop: I guess ScubaToys? I don't dive with any shop.
Cert level: OWSI. Attained that level but don't teach. Just fun dive.

Live in N/W Iowa
Dive in fresh water at West Lake Okoboji or Lake Francis Case.
Scuba shop I prefer is Donovan's Hobby & Scuba Center in Sioux Falls, SD.
SSI-Master Diver

6XGrandpa who's grand kids are getting intrested in diving also. What fun it is!

59 in July and still have the diving bug. Had a heart attack in March so diving plans are on hold for about a year ...but I intend to come back. Been diving since 1971 and see no reason to let my wet suit go dry quite yet !!

MJ

This thread's still alive?
Ok...
I live in Montgomery, AL
I dive anywhere I can - this morning I'm heading for Lake Martin
The only shop in town is Adventure Sports II
SSI DCSI(TXR);Trimix;Cave
Rick

Rick; I've fished Lake Martin and Lake Jordan a lot when I lived in Montgomery. But, I wasn't a diver then. So, I know what they look like from the surface. Diving? Worth a side trip from one I'm planning to SE?

Rick; I've fished Lake Martin and Lake Jordan a lot when I lived in Montgomery. But, I wasn't a diver then. So, I know what they look like from the surface. Diving? Worth a side trip from one I'm planning to SE?
Hmmm... interesting question... especially interesting because I was thinking, while gliding slowly along the old Kowaliga bridge rubble, temp in the low 60's, vis about 8 feet, very few fish, basically nothing to look at but slime covered pilings strewn about like pick-up sticks, and mud... I was thinking... "I'm really and truly enjoying this... there must be something fundamentally wrong with me."
I shared that with Smedley after the dive. He said, "Yeah, ain't it just grand?"
So... if you're nuts like we are, yes - Lake Martin's worth a side trip. If you want clear, or warm, or lots of life, no.
Rick

Last edited:
Rick, you REALLY must love diving....rrreeeeaaaallly love it. That kind of diving is like hiking on a treadmill in a closet by candle light.
maybe it'd be cheaper to build a 20 x 6 foot cement pond, get a good algae bloom, cover it with some shade to make it nice and dark, and create a little current so you feel like you're swimming along.....you could even hang some little plastic bass on strings...(just kidding)

61 and I still dive regularly. I love it just as much now as I did when I was a kid. View my public profile for details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom