At 165cm (5'5") I'm hardly eXtra-small

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You said that about Aquaflite as well. I don't understand what you mean? I think both of them offer quite stylish suits that are using up to date materials and styles. What don't you like??????
I'm more referring to their websites and information about the materials and features they incorporate. Bare in mind, I'm looking at these from the perspective, I've never (knowingly) seen a custom suit.

Compare that to sites like Pinnacle, Mares, Waterproof, Henderson where they all highlight the advanced features such as skin-in wrists, certain types of neoprene in some areas, things to minimise water entry etc. I'm running totally based on what I know of the high-end off-the-rack suits to the little info on the custom sites. Hence why I'm asking for advice here.

The nice thing about a custom is that you can usually get them to do whatever you want. A friend of mine just had to have a Henderson custom wetsuit. Well, her suit cost almost double what my Liquid Fit suit did and we had exactly the same material. The only difference was that she had this nice BIG henderson logo on her suit. Well, a few years down the road, her suit has long ago bit the dust. Oh, her BIG henderson logo was peeling off when she decided that the suit was done. When you boil it all down, a wetsuit is a wetsuit is a wetsuit. There are really no new and inventive features, just a new and different way for them to promote a wetsuit which is a wetsuit, which is a wetsuit. In the end what you want is a suit that fits you properly and keeps you warm. If having a fancy label on your suit and a mixture of neoprenes is your thing, then by all means go for it. I would dare say that by the time you would pay for shipping, a henderson custom suit would be costing you close to a $1000. There's a reason why when you goggle search custom wetsuits that Aquaflite and Liquid Fit come up first and second on your search. They are both wonderful companies and know what they are doing to obtain a perfect suit for the difficult to fit.
Good luck to you,
SWT

I've contacted all of them and so far only aquaflite and liquidskin have replied. Unfortunately liquidskin no longer ship internationally. None of the others have replied after 2 days.

Okay, I tried a Mares Isotherm today and it was quite restrictive around the shoulders but not too bad.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Isotherm and the Isotherm Deluxe? I've searched everywhere and found no opinions either way. LDS didn't even know they existed but may be able to get one for me to try the fit.

Have you had any luck with the custom route?

SWT

Given the price, responses etc I have received, If I get a custom, it'll be from Elios. I'm currently looking at:At this stage, I'm leaning towards the Taurus because, for a off the rack, they have so many sizes and both Waterproof and their New Zealand dealer are convinced they can supply a size which will fit nearly as good as a custom. (Plus I'll be able to return it if it doesn't) If I don't have any luck with that, or the isotherm, I'll spend the extra for a custom from Elios.

Why am I not considering aquaflite? Because I just didn't get a good feeling about it.

Its just a pain in the ass that the only products worth considering locally available are Oceanic, Pinnacle and Mares.

Neptune will do custom suits. Your local dive shop should be able to hook you up with the form to fill out - they should have someone on staff who can do the measuring, too.

We've had hire suits done by both Neptune and Sonar and they are pretty durable.

I'm not a mares suit fan.

There are plenty of places that will customize an off the rack suit - again, your local dive shop should have the contacts, I only have them for WA so that's not much help!

There are plenty of places that will customize an off the rack suit - again, your local dive shop should have the contacts, I only have them for WA so that's not much help!
I think I've been to all the LDSs in Adelaide. I have explained my situation, that I am considering a custom, none have mentioned anything about anyone to be able to customise an off the rack.

Divers Service tried to get my to go for a Seatec custom but I really didn't like the look of them. None of the other stores mentioned anybody they deal with for custom suits either. If I'm going for a custom, Elios looks the way to go given the material they use, the cost and the recommendations i've received. (Seatec was going to cost almost DOUBLE for a similar suit)

Pray tell what why didn't you have a good feeling about Aquaflite. Are you nuts are what?????

Pray tell what why didn't you have a good feeling about Aquaflite.

• Unusual design
  • Want semi-dry style (horizontal zip), not john/jacket style
  • website appears to be last updated 8 years ago
  • delay in response
  • other custom options instill more confidence
Are you nuts are what?????
Yes, yes I am. But the dive medical still passed me so all's good. :59:

I acknowledge that you and others have had a good experience but it comes down to what I think is going to suit (hahahar) me best. Given I'm overseas to all the custom options within my price range (Aussie-made ones are nearly AUD$1000/USD$950), I'd rather go with someone who is going to cause me less stress. I mean, I can't even call up most of the options without getting up in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom