SCUBA Colloquialisms and acronyms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non-acronym to know: "Bug" = Lobster

Doesn't HFS belong somewhere in here?

And More:
BWOD= Bungied Wing of Death (OMS or similar bungeed wing)
YBOD= Yellow Box of Death (Inspiration RB)
GIT= George Irvine III

I'm wondering if it is because the word "SCUBA" is already an acronym that divers have such a propensity to use all sorts of acronyms and initials in their everyday talk. I noticed the term LDS being used often and only recently Googled the meaning (only to be directed to a thread on this very scubaboard forums explaining it as "Local Dive Store"). BP/W I figured out much stand for "Backplate with wings" and the list goes on.

What I find even more interesting is colloquialisms that divers use like "thumbing the dive" meaning to abort and head for the surface.

So here is a thread in which you can post your colloquialisms and acronyms and explain their meanings. Even if it is a phrase you'd think everyone will know already, post it anyway, chances are I don't know it.

One I can start off with perhaps is, at the charters I've used diving in Sodwana Bay, upon seeing an excessively weighted weightbelt, they'd refer to it as a "home gym".

Check out the following links:

Glossary of SCUBA diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scuba Slang and Technical Terms

Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary: Find definitions for over 4,216,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms

Or GIII. I've never seen "GIT"

And maybe I missed it but I can't see "DIR" anywhere yet.

See my post 5 :p

Moss Back = old(er) diver who spent enough time underwater for moss to grow on his back.

Your Mileage May Vary

Seriously? I didn't know what it meant either (and I've asked before- the memory is the 2nd or 3rd- or is that 4th or 5th?- thing to go...), but I thought it was something far more exciting than that.

ISOSAD: AND UGLY
International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers: Air/Nitrox Dives for Underwater Gaming, Leisure, and You
(this is Clay Jar's brain child- I take no credit for his work!)

nfl, cave country - north florida
p1, p2, p3, orange grove, peanut, pothole - spring and cave systems of peacock springs state park (pssp) in luraville, fl. there are lots of cave features that are named - this is a teeny taste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom