Two Scuba divers killed by a speedboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AY:
Here in Canada, it will be mandatory by 2009 that all small motorized craft operators carry a "Pleasure Craft Operator Card", which basically proves you know the rules of the water.

I think this is a great idea. I was amazed when I bought my first boat that no licensing was required. I took the (Power Squadron) safety course which mentioned what dive flags were and how to operate around them, but it wasn't drilled in. I found it hard to believe that any >18y.o. who can afford a boat and registration can head out on the water. I've seen people (some with very expensive boats) do some amazingly dumb things (presumably sober). I know of many others who go out primarily to socialize and drink (and then of course head back to the dock).

If I need to study and pass a test to use my boat and if it thins out the pack of idiots, saves lives, and prevents some of the environmental damage caused by bad/inexperienced boaters, I'm all for it!

I think this is a great idea. I was amazed when I bought my first boat that no licensing was required. I took the (Power Squadron) safety course which mentioned what dive flags were and how to operate around them, but it wasn't drilled in. I found it hard to believe that any >18y.o. who can afford a boat and registration can head out on the water. I've seen people (some with very expensive boats) do some amazingly dumb things (presumably sober). I know of many others who go out primarily to socialize and drink (and then of course head back to the dock).

If I need to study and pass a test to use my boat and if it thins out the pack of idiots, saves lives, and prevents some of the environmental damage caused by bad/inexperienced boaters, I'm all for it!

I agree. I think it is despicable that the law places fault on the diver who is displaying a dive flag instead of on the bone-head who doesn't steer clear of a vessel or float displaying a diver down flag or alpha flag. I think there should be more stringent requirements for boat operators and believe some form of licensing should be required.

Yep, when we bought our Jet powered ski boat, the salemen told us that we didn't need anything to take it out, and it was easy to learn. No Safety Instruction Required, so sure we loaded the boat with a cooler of beer. I don't think any of us ever abused the beer while out, but then how would I seriously know. Now my brother and I were driving tractors full time and bob-tail cow trucks on the hiway at age 12 so we had some sense by ages 25 & 30, but had to figure a lot out on our own. Had we seen a dive flag, we would have motored to it maybe.

Worse, any 18 year old can RENT a boat or jet ski and go out to learn, and wreck havoc.

Funny, talking on one thread about damned boats too close, and on another about stranded at sea with no boats around. :shakehead:

It does not do much good when you are the only one who has taken a coast guard auxillary course. It seems that the vast majority of boaters haven't the foggiest idea who has the right of way let alone what the red flag with the white strip means. If you dive in high boat traffic areas be it in the USA or Cozumel or wherever, you gotta look out for your own skin rather than rely on the knowledge and eyesight of others. Manatees have an excuse divers don't.

You would think that divers themselves would know better.

Last summer a speed boat whizzed past me at high speed. He passed by me less than 30 feet away while I was on the surface. I had an inner tube with a dive flag.

The boat pulled up to the shore where my van was parked. I confronted the boater when I got to the beach.

He was a member of the CHARLESTON WEST VIRGINIA DIVE RESCUE TEAM, there at the lake for training. He stated that he knew the state law required boats to remain 150 feet away from a dive flag, but he didn't think that the law applied to him since he was on the dive rescue team.

"Oh, I know I won't hit you," he replied, stating that it was okay for him to speed by divers.

Here is West Virginia there is no lifeguard on duty at the gene pool.

So... does anyone have more information on the two divers that were killed?

As usual, CDNN has not let the truth get in the way of a good story, and while this thread has some useful information and stories about making sure boaters can see you while you are underwater/on the surface – and how scary it is that many boaters have no common sense whatsoever – in this instance none of them would have made the slightest difference.

Information I have from Sharm is that the two Polish divers in question were diving under Shark's Bay jetty and apparently came up under a dive boat moored to the jetty with its engines in neutral. Quite how they managed to do enough damage to themselves to end up fatally injured is beyond me.

Mark

I'd heard a similar story to this myself, living in Sharm you'd think I'd be able to find out more info on this.
So far I've heard that it was 2 divers that were injured/killed & that they were underneath the main jetty at Sharks Bay when 1 popped up (poss panicked), instructor went to assist with the ascending diver. The instructor is not a local so may not have been aware of the hazards of the jetty (although I would have thought this pretty obvious as there's often boats moored there). I think the captain put the boat into gear to move off not realising anyone was by the propeller.
Will update if I manage to find out anymore info over the next few days

As usual, CDNN has not let the truth get in the way of a good story....
Yeah, you expect that of them, don't you? I have wondered about obtaining real info but didn't even ask given the far away location. An unfortunate loss. There is a brief news article; I have no idea how much fact is involved here...

From Egyptian official: speedboat kills 2 Polish divers at Red Sea resort - International Herald Tribune
Egyptian official: speedboat kills 2 Polish divers at Red Sea resort

CAIRO, Egypt: An Egyptian medical official says two Polish scuba divers were killed when they were hit by a speedboat in the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheik.

The official at the Sharm el-Sheik hospital, Ibrahim Hassan Ali, says the bodies of a Polish man and a woman were brought to the hospital. He says the Polish embassy in Cairo will be notified of the Friday deaths.

Hospital authorities identified the Polish victims as Jona Kosic, 45, a man, and Wizo Kosic, 43, a woman.

Fatal scuba diving accidents happen occasionally in the Red Sea, where thousands of foreigners come annually to scuba dive because of the water's famous coral reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom