'Regular Agency' Standards re: disabilities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Singgirl,

Diving with a single fin may not present balance issues as pronounced as you allude to. If your husband locks his right leg behind his left when finning, he'll probably work through any balance issues fairly quickly and may be surprised by the amount of power he can generate off the one fin. Getting into and out of the water may be your real challenges, but depending on the boat (or even shore), could prove to be quickly accommodated once you actually start and end your dives.

Does your husband have a prosthetic? If so, can it hold up to extended salt water exposure?

A quick google search pulled up this possibility:

First Step 2001: Are You Ready For A Prosthesis?: Putting Your Best Foot Forward

If the information here is a little outdated, perhaps it can help point you in a better direction.

It may seem counter intuitive given that he can still use his left leg, but if a prosthetic is out of the question, another consideration would be the using his arms & hands for propulsion with the assistance of webbed gloves.

Hi Singgirl,
I am an amputee diver, missing my left leg well above the ankle, but below the knee. I was certified as an amputee, without a prosthesis. It's not so much a problem diving with just one leg, so your husband should give it a try, especially since he's already a skilled diver and doesn't have to worry about all the things a new diver does. As a respondent already noted, getting around on a boat or the shore can be difficult. I got around on a boat using crutches - difficult, but doable. I climbed up the ladder using my one good leg and my knee on my bad side. Shore diving was difficult, but again, doable with assistance. I just had two guys support me as I hopped out through the (California) surf. Once I was in water deep enough to swim, that's what I did. Getting out was a snap - I just crawled out of the water and then someone fetched my crutches.

Nowadays, I use a prosthesis designed for the water. It is plastic and has a drain hole near the ankle so that it is filled with water when I dive so that it will be as nearly neutrally-buoyant as possible. I use an ankle, the "activankle" (Rampro - Activankle & Swimankle, prosthetic ankle joints for Swimming, Jet/Snow Skiing, Rowing), that locks in the swimming position. I have a very short stump, so I cannot power a full-size dive fin. I use a lightweight snorkelling fin (and a full size dive fin on my good foot). Depending upon how close your husband's amputation is to his ankle, there might not be room for the activankle. That's a snag, of course.

If you need more information, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Best of luck and good diving!
-Karen

This sub-forum is always so inspiring by seeing the determination of the human spirit. I sure am looking forward to the day my fiance (who has CP) gets scuba certified!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom