UAE diving off a private boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hhalfawi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know what (if any) the regulations are for diving off of a privately owned boat in the UAE? My boat is registered in Dubai, when I asked the registration department at the coast guard they said that there are no requirements as long as all the divers are certified. However, I have heard otherwise from other people.

Also, does this mean I can dive anywhere in the UAE from my boat?
What about Musandam?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no regulations. I have not heard of any- but then again I never asked. Pick up a copy of U.A.E. Underwater Explorer (can be found in most dive shops). That should tell you everything you need to know.

Oman has regulations about dive boats operating in Omani waters...if I'm not mistaken, one of them is that the boat driver has to be Omani and approved by either police or coast guard...Check with the Omani Embassy in the UAE...
Doubt there is much information on the Internet about it..

Oman has regulations about dive boats operating in Omani waters...if I'm not mistaken, one of them is that the boat driver has to be Omani and approved by either police or coast guard...Check with the Omani Embassy in the UAE...
Doubt there is much information on the Internet about it..

I'm pretty sure that when I dived in Muscat the boat driver was Sri Lankan.

also don't you need to have paid a diving tax sort of thing to dive in Musandam/Oman?

I would suggest you check with Emirates Diving Association they are located in the diving village next to the heritage village near shindaga tunnel. EDA will be able to give you complet diving inlformation rules and regulation for diving in the dubai and omani waters.

I own a boat and go diving pretty regularly... Just make sure you get the coast guard permission before you sail... i do it by fax.

Except for one occasion, I never had a problem... when they had the IMF meeting in Dubai some years back, I was stopped by the CG who told me diving was not allowed :?

Thanks for all the info guys...I guess I will continue to do what I have been doing - dive unless told otherwise. I did ask the coast guard and didn't really get much of a response - they didn't seem to know for sure - but said that there are no requirements for the West Coast. I have heard that you have to have an Omani captain in Mussandam (I wouldn't tow my boat that far anyway).

Coliesum - I see you are a member of Dubai 4X4 as well. I used to be a very active member until I bought my first boat - planning on getting back into it soon hopefully (has been almost a year since I was offroading - last time was Sweihan). You active with the club?

I have been diving off my own boat here in Abu Dhabi for long time, never been stopped by the guards, I stop by the Marine Police check point most of the times if I am going offshore with all my tanks and equipments loaded on the boat and they never had a problem with them. only once when me and my budy were doing a shore dive the guard came to us and asked if we have a license to dive (PADI) and we showed them our open water cards then they let us dive (they were divers too).

Mate
check out these links..
UAELaw
:: Emirates Diving Association ::
DMYC’s Rules and Regulations of Berthing - Dubai Marina Yacht Club
UAE Federal e-Government Portal

National Transport Authority | Department | Marine Affairs Department
"Services provided by Marine Affairs Department

a) Ship Registration Section

All types of ships including pleasure boats/yachts registered and licensed by Ship Registration Section. The registration process for commercial ships and pleasure boats are separated in this section. Both of the procedures are delivered at the national level. There are three offices for ship registration. The main office is based in Abu Dhabi, the capital and other two branch offices are in Dubai and Sharjah. Ship Registration Section allows for name approval, proof of ownership, issuance of Navigation License, exemption certificates, approval of Ship's Bill of Sale, issuance of deletion certificates and mortgage record.

Ship registration under UAE flag is limited for national establishments or companies with 51% at least for local ownership.

This section also issues Navigation License for foreign flag ships, which are operated in the UAE territorial waters. Provisions for issuing Navigation License for foreign flag ships are governed by the Federal Law No. (26), 1981."

PS
some guys i know hired a boat last week and were freediving off the coast of Abu Dhabi the coast guard arrested them as they had no permit to show. (no, they were not spearfishing.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom