Non-diving Oahu question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I have been offered the job. I have about a week to decide. We just returned from Hawaii, loved it, created way too many questions on where to live. If I take the job then I will be moving there by myself for at least a year (maybe longer if I stay with the company).

Does anyone have personal experience with renting rooms on the island? I was considering possible living on the North Shore since it seemed to be a pretty quick drive up to the Barracks. Any additional info and advice would be appreciated while I make this decision.

Thanks,

Jamie

I was considering possible living on the North Shore since it seemed to be a pretty quick drive up to the Barracks.

I imagine that living in either Wahiawa or Millilani would be more convenient overall than living on the North Shore. It's a 2 lane highway in/out of the North Shore and I'm not sure how bad traffic congestion gets, at least from a daily commuting standpoint. I do know that on weekends, especially in the summer or in the winter when the surf is up it's one long line of cars.

Other than the possible traffic/commuting time issue, living on the North Shore sounds pretty nice if you want a smaller, more laid back community.

So, is the commute from the North Shore to the Barracks brutal during the weekday? It looks to be a straight (two lane road) shot.

With A TON of people wanting to use that road too..if you catch it during the off times it'll be a breeze, but wait till rush hour...

Part of why we are seriously considering this move. The city is close to becoming the version of New York from the movie Escape from New York.

Again I appreciate all the info. Next week's visit will be fun and interesting. Now I just need to make sure to get in a enough dives. What is enough?

Thanks, Bus
Something to consider, sorry if this offends any politically correct folks, but white people are to a degree discriminated against. Even today especially among the punks and thugs. If your 4 year old daughter is a cute little blond, make sure you figure in the cost of private school. Otherwise you will have a child who will become proficient in pigeon English. You also mentioned wanted to leave the city. To me, having lived there and flown there on business 25+ times I think Oahu is a Vegas type Tia Juana of the South Pacific. I love the outer islands, never really had much problem with anyone other than Oahu. If you want further info drop me a note. J.C.

Yes, there can be racial issues. Generally speaking if you are respectful of the local culture (and certain aspects of it can take some getting used to) then it's usually ok, at least from my perspective. But then again, perhaps I'm not the best person to judge, since I am local.

I think it is way overblown myself, as a Haole girl. Locals have been great to us. Very little crime, my kids have gone everywhere on the bus since about 9 or ten. I never worry about abductions like in SoCal, (OC) it is has less conspicuous consumption which I thought was important raising teens, it is very international, healthy and out doors oriented. Thumbs up on raising kids! I have a *blonde little girl* and she has not faced any problems racially in eight years, but she attends Punahou, a private school. My son now goes to public and has no real concept of race, as far as I can tell. He describes everybody in shades of brown, which I think is funny. Personally, I thought it would be a bigger "racial problem" for them in the long run living in San Clemente where they never saw anything but Caucasians.

There is a lot of pot everywhere, but less drinking (high schools)

The roads suck, if you care about that. I would not want to commute far.

The internet has helped make living here easier in the last five years, I feel.

I had some cultural adjustments to make with the Japanese business culture here (banking, etc) but once you figure it out, it has its upsides.

The racial thing here IS way overblown! Those who are describing it as such are pretty much overreacting to the fact that they are in pretty much the only place in the US where as a white person, you really get the fact that you ARE a minority here. If you don't have a problem with that, then you really won't have any problems, if you treat folks decently.

Yes, you do have to make cultural adjustments. Folks here are very laid back. The food is weird if you are not used to multi-cultural, right up your alley if you are. The public schools have a poor reputation, but it is possible to get a good education if you push your kids to do so. If you can, go private. Housing is still really high, but real estate prices are coming down. And the cost of living is high. Always going to be higher than the mainland for both.

While the commute from Mililani to town can seem brutal for the distance, it probably isn't any more brutal than most of the mainland commutes, time-wise. Actually, I think folks here get kind of spoiled, because everything is so close.

Catherine is right about the shades of brown thing. I'm a haole myself, from the east coast. After living here 25 years, what always surprises me when I go back is how many blondes there are on the east coast! You just see so many dark heads here!

The big downside is that it is an island. If you have to get in your car and drive 3 states away for a road trip every other weekend, this isn't the place for you. And if you are seriously into shopping, it isn't either!

All in all, there are many more upsides than downsides, but one has to come here with the right attitude. Most locals are very nice, give you the shirt off their back kind of people. But there are always a few bad apples in every barrel. If you come here with the "I'm white, I must be right" kind of chip on your shoulder, you'll find those bad apples quick!

Funny! I don't think I've ever heard a white woman here in Hawaii describe this place as being "racist"! It's always the white guys. Angry, white male syndrome, I guess. Those that have figured out that a milky white color of skin and pecker don't provide you with a birthright anymore and are of mind to be pissed about it!

I am not concerned about the racial issues. I currently reside in the most racist city in the U.S. White vs. Black and Black vs. White. Anything else would be a step up.

I am concerned about identifying good places to live. I question the whole commute/traffic problem. When we were there a few weeks ago I did not view it as a problem (annoying, but not a problem). Does it take 40 minutes to go from Hialewa (sp? sorry) to the Barracks during rush hour (I believe a 15 mile drive)? Since my wife would not be joining me for some time I am not concerned about my daughter's education. She would probably go private, that was the feeling we got from everyone when we were there.

Is there anyone on this board who currently works for any social service providers? This position is a 9 to 5 job. I have never worked 9 to 5 in my life. Not sure what to do with myself after 5. Part of the interest in Hawaii is your continued obsession with meth. Are there providers on the north side or is everything focused down in honolulu? Oh, weekends are for diving and sailing, no working.

Again, thank you all for your input. My wife and I are making decisions (some not so easy since this could entail not living together for a year).

Part of the interest in Hawaii is your continued obsession with meth. Are there providers on the north side or is everything focused down in honolulu?
Given, it's early and I'm not really awake, but Huh?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom