Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crap!!!!

I've been had!

Again.

I am such a puppet.

God only knows what he has done to me on Titanic?????

Don't tell me!!

Cheers

JC

Look for the "GG was here" scraped into the silt! :rofl3:

I have a problem with someone who self-publishes as there are no editors or other fact checkers in the loop and the books become a "pat-myself-on-the-back" approach at the expense of others. I haven't read GG's book (nor am I going to) but it seems from the reviews I have read that he is merely trying to cash in on the good fortune of those around him.

I have a problem with someone who self-publishes as there are no editors or other fact checkers in the loop and the books become a "pat-myself-on-the-back" approach at the expense of others. I haven't read GG's book (nor am I going to) but it seems from the reviews I have read that he is merely trying to cash in on the good fortune of those around him.

I wouldn't let "exposed" deter you from reading his other books...I've read his two books on the Andrea Doria, the two on the Lusitania, and just purchased his book on the Monitor, and have enjoyed them immensely! I'd love to find similar books written by other authors (the Cussler Wreck Hunters books come to mind as well. although those seem to dramatize the events leading up to the wreck, more than the actual events of finding/and diving the wreck, but enjoyable just the same!)

Exposed DOES have some redeeming qualities to it (mainly the chapters he uses to list his qualifications from diving on subs and other wrecks) But the stuff about the U-Who is a bit questionable and like I've said before...contains no smoking gun, and to me seems just like someone else's opinion of events..but something stuck in his craw about it..that's for sure! (Note to NetDoc...maybe see if you can get GG on here and we can have an open forum between him, JC, and RK!)

As a wreck historian he's a pretty good read, and a very knowledgable guy from a diving standpoint, I've also read his Primary and Advanced Wreck diving guides, and there's a lot of good practical info in there. And his "Popular Dive Guide" series seems pretty good as well (the only one I own and have I've read through is the South Jersey volume) I wouldn't let one book cause you to steer clear though!

Buoyant1:
I think we should get bit parts in it Bobby!

(btw...I totally missed Discovery's booth at BTS I saw on the list that it was there, but ....)

I would screw up even a bit part...I think Bill was at BTS but he was the only one there so there may not have been a booth...Told ya I would send the pens:D Still will if ya want me to...

book on the Monitor

Man I would love to dive the Monitor. It's a 200 ft dive though, and you have to have a permit...I'm working on getting to that depth....Maybe one day I will be able to...

As a wreck historian he's a pretty good read, and a very knowledgable guy from a diving standpoint, I've also read his Primary and Advanced Wreck diving guides, and there's a lot of good practical info in there. And his "Popular Dive Guide" series seems pretty good as well (the only one I own and have I've read through is the South Jersey volume) I wouldn't let one book cause you to steer clear though!

I spoke to Bernie Chowdury recently about the book. He was disappointed that GG had not called him to fact check anything. Makes you think about how accurate anything was in that book.

I spoke to Bernie Chowdury recently about the book. He was disappointed that GG had not called him to fact check anything. Makes you think about how accurate anything was in that book.

My guess it was a conversation with a few guys over dinner...the stories started, and GG decided that he was going to write...Hey ya gotta make a living, but try to keep it neutral, you know that 5 people looking at the same thing are going to describe it 5 different ways. As I said, I would have respected it more if it were just other accounts (which is kind of what I expected when I bought it) Not the "expose". Bernie was there, he's another account, and possibly has his own version of a lot of the events as well (other than those we've read)

Anyway, as I've said it has it's moments, I wouldn't discount any of his other works because they are entertaining, but given that it's one persons account, I'm sure there are inaccuracies, and I don't expect every person that's been diving with him to put out a book stating the TRUE facts!

...I'm sure there are inaccuracies, and I don't expect every person that's been diving with him to put out a book stating the TRUE facts!

So what GG's book all boils down to is a poorly marketed yet plausible opinion on the events surrounding the U-869? Got it. As one Amazon user stated in his review:
"...If you read Shadow Divers, then just assume that other people played a big role in the diving and research and accept as an alternative theory that the boat was sunk by depth charges. You can now skip this book."

Also, thanks Bouyant1 for pointing out the good publications GG has offered up to us who are so passionate about this sport.

In my diving career, no one dive or destination stands out. My favorite dive is the next one.

Excellent. A new line for my signature!

Thanks for spending the time to answer our questions, John. Few - if any - of us have, or will ever, come close to matching your diving exploits, but all of us dream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom