Fantasy Island or Henry Morgan Resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misty58

Reaction score
Since either of these resorts is offered by our travel agents (out of Toronto) and we want to dive, dive, dive, which resort do you think is best and why? Leaning toward Henry Morgan's, seems a tad nicer resort. What do you think?

Henry Morgan Resort looks great. I'm actually interested in it. Very limited info from the website though.

We stayed at Henry Morgan Feb1 to Feb15 and are going back on Apr 4 for a week so you can tell we liked it.I don't know about fantasy island but there are reviews on tripadvisor that are fairly mediocre. I did my Open Water Diver certification at TGIDiving which is the dive shop at Henry Morgan and was happy with the training I got. Divers with many years experience said TGI was a good operation.
You won't find a lot written about TGI because it is a european company and Henry Morgan is owned by Italians and until recently(last year) had only Italian guests. Conquest Tours started running packages from Toronto last winter.
The hotel meet our needs perfectly. The food is as good as you could expect from a small resort(110 rooms). Buffet service, Italian head chef, limited all-inclusive drinks ie: local beer, mediocre wine and 3 different mixed drinks are part of the all-inclusive but anything else like scotch or fancy cocktails you have to pay for. The bartenders are very generous in pouring the rum drinks. The lobby bar has an expresso machine.
It was my first experience diving so I have nothing to compare it to but like I said the experienced divers were happy with it. TGI runs a 2 tank dive every morning and a 1 tank dive in the afternoon. Most dive sites are within 10 minutes away. There are so many dive sites around roatan that most dive operations don't have to go very far to reach their sites.
The Hotel is on West Bay beach which is about 1 km long and and seems very underpopulated compared to beaches in Mexico. The snorkeling is excellent from shore. There isn't much night life or independent restaurants and bars on this part of the island. It is the only time I have stayed in an all-inclusive and felt I was getting a better deal than staying in a small hotel and eating in local restaurants which is what we like to do in Mexico.
Send me a private e-mail if you want to know more. There are some good reviews on Tripadvisor as well.

A simple search in these boards will get you tons of advice about either, especially Fantasy Island. I have stayed at Fantasy Island and loved it, and would highly recommend it. Great for 3 boat dives a day, and food is pretty good too. And a really nice, calm, beach to relax at after diving.

Fantasy Island also offers as much shore diving as you would like. Not sure about shore diving at Henry Morgan.

Check out Coco View. It is across from FI but I believe the shore diving is more accessible. I leave for Roatan in three days and I'm staying at Bananarama on West Bay. I do plan on spending a day at Coco view. I think trip advisor is a good tool and combined with information from this board you should be able to make an informed decision. Not sure when your planning on going but right now Los Rocas has some smoking deals. Good luck

Bruce

If I wanted to dive dive dive, I'd return to FI (or preferably Cocoview if the budget permitted). You can crank out 4-5 dives daily easily there, at no extra cost (except maybe a tip or two). Both FI and Cocoview have easy access to the Prince Albert wreck for night diving. So after your 3rd dive of the day, just relax and plan a night dive around sunset. Then plan another later on if you like! Night diving is the best and you can do a lot there if you so choose. Heck, If I went back, i think I'd even sit out the afternoon dive in order to take full advantage of 2 night dives!

Anyways, if doing a lot of diving like this, Nitrox certification is a must. You'll get a lot more bottom time that way!

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

My last group trip to COCO View most did six a day.

I was a wimp at five a day (the shame)

I stayed at fantasy island last April 2007 it was great. Shore diving is unlimited also at FI and you don't have to lug your equipment around they will take you by skiff to the dive gazebo I actually had the skiff drop me off at the prince Albert wreck so it was actually like a boat dive. If your looking to dive go to FI. My group went to Coco view and they said they would never go back since many got sick from coco views food. for under $700 you get unlimited shore diving 3 meals a day and 3 one tank boat dives for 5 days and on day 6 you get 2 boats dives also 1 night dive included. I will defiantly return to Fantasy Island also want to take my 14 year old son when he graduates High School. Any question just pm me or send email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom