Diving in Safaga and Aqaba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on a cruise to the Middle East in 2009, and I'm wondering about diving opportunities at the various port stops. Since this Africa forum appears to be divided geographically, I'll post about the Red Sea port stops here, and the other port stops in the Gulf forum.

The two port stops on the Red Sea are Safaga (we'll be there for two days) and Aqaba (one day). My traveling companion (my mother) will be taking a trip to Luxor/Valley of the Kings during our stay in Safaga, but I'd rather spend the days diving IF it's really worth it. (I'll probably be historied-out by our multi-day pyramid excursions by then). I would love some insight into the diving in the area, and any dive op recommendations.

As for Aqaba, I'm being told that missing an excursion to Petra would be a huge mistake, and that it should take precedence over the diving. Does anyone disagree, and feel that the underwater world at Aqaba would be worth skipping Petra?

We're also stopping in Alexandria, Salalah Oman, Khasab Oman, and Dubai - if anyone wants to comment on those stops, please see my post in the Gulf forum. Thanks!

Thanks! Any suggestions for dive ops in Safaga?

As for Alexandria, I did read that it's not worth it - bad vis, no real life, just a bunch of poorly maintained artifacts. So we're devoting our time there to land-based trips (pyramids etc.).

We've dived in the Safaga area a couple of times, just came back last week after a week with Emperor divers in their new operation in Safaga. They are a great bunch but it depends a bit on what type of diving you want - house reef, small boat or day boat. We had a great time on the house reef with lots of juvenile fish, with dives on local reefs at around 17-20m and a little known Ro-Ro ferry wreck - the El Arish El Tor at 33m. Last week we were the only divers around so had a great time as opposed to jumping in with 7 day boats moored together but, as I say, it depends what you want. Try these links for an indication :-
YouTube - Firewall Reef, Safaga, Egypt March 2008
YouTube - Wreck of the El Arish El Tor, Safaga, Egypt.
YouTube - Hunting Mary, the baby boxfish.

They're also on Google earth in Safaga Bay

At the risk of being boring there will be more to follow!

Cheers
Adrian

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll definitely look into Emperor Divers. I would prefer boat diving - if I'm going to travel across the world to dive the Red Sea, I'd rather get out there and see the best it has to offer, although if there's any extra time I'd love to check out the house reef. I'll be there for two days, so hopefully I'll have time for both.

Also, I just learned that I'm going to be in Aqaba for two days, rather than one, so now I can visit Petra AND spend a day diving! So I'm looking for any input on dive ops or other info for Aqaba. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom