Fiji???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beqa Lagoon Resort, which is a 20 minute boat ride south of the main island.

Been there before I owned a dive shop, now that I own I think we're trying to get a 2009 trip to Beqa. If you like shark diving , they've got an incredible shark dive.

If you're looking for something soon, look up Tiger Shark Scuba in the Dallas-FtWorth area (I think they're in Arlington), ask for Jim or Brittney, they run the show. They are going to Beqa soon.

Hope this helps,
RoyalScuba.com in Austin

I dove with KaiViti divers (Kai Viti Divers Scuba Diving Expeditions and Adventures :: Dive Fiji) who are based at an expensive resort (Wananavu Beach Resort) at the north of the main island. The best diving is out at Bird Island. There are other dive resorts in the area, but they have a great boat to get out to the island. I stayed at the town nearby (Rakiraki). Also went to Bequ for the shark dive, stayed at Pacific Harbor. Then went to Levuka, Ovalau (the old capitol) and dove with Ovalau Water Sports. Some good diving and a neat old town to hang out in (I stayed at the old hotel which has cabins for rent).

I spent a week on Taveuni last October. We stayed at the Garden Island Resort, using AquaTrek for our diving. AquaTrek has a shop right beside the resort. We thought the entire week was as good as any trip we've been on, the people we awesome, the diving incredible, the food great... can I say more? You check in your dive equipment the first day and you literally don't have to touch it afterwards. I only took my mesh bag with camera and personals each day. I highly recommend both places. The island of Taveuni is breathtaking, we took a hike one day to the Bouma Falls, absolutely incredible. There is also a natural water slide that we went on, they locals helped some of us up the hill and told us where to go and where not to on the way down. The people on Taveuni are awesome!
After a 7 day stay, we went on an additional 3 days on Viti Levu, in the Pacific Harbor region. We stayed at a newer place called The Uprising. They have little cottages right on the beach. They didn't have air conditioning yet but they had a "blow" come in and the strong breeze kept us cool at night. We dove with AquaTrek there too, did the shark dives. The weather had turned bad as I mentioned, everyone got sick on the boats as the waves were really big, hard to get in/out of the boats. Saw LOTS of sharks though, it is an intimate dive with BIG sharks. They advertise possibly seeing tiger sharks but we did not see any tigers, just huge bulls, and others.
My only bad press for the whole trip was we flew with Pacific Air. My opinin is that they suck! We flew from Denver to LA on another carrier, and had to completely re-check in our baggage in LA. They hassled everyone, no one had good things to say about that experience. The plane was a 747, which we intitially thought would be a luxury 11 hour trip. No way - the seats were packed in SO close that it was the most painful and uncomfortable airplane trip we have ever taken. The seats were ridiculously close, the people in front would recline and the back of their seat would be inches from your face. I am over 6 feet tall and I have never been so cramped up. On the trip home, we had to hop back to Denver from LA after another 11 hour agonizing flight and it was amazing how much more room we had! I've always bitched about not having enough room on an airplane but never again, after that 11 hour trip from LA to Fiji, and another one back! Use another air carrier if possible!

Heading down to Fiji in November, any suggestions, Dive sites, eating, dive operators...
What's you (nightly) budget and how much bopping around do you want to do? Are you there to see other stuff or just to dive?

Just in case you might be interested, I recently posted a longish report about my trip in the Fiji islands, last month : check out here.

My only bad press for the whole trip was we flew with Pacific Air. My opinin is that they suck! We flew from Denver to LA on another carrier, and had to completely re-check in our baggage in LA. They hassled everyone, no one had good things to say about that experience. The plane was a 747, which we intitially thought would be a luxury 11 hour trip. No way - the seats were packed in SO close that it was the most painful and uncomfortable airplane trip we have ever taken. The seats were ridiculously close, the people in front would recline and the back of their seat would be inches from your face. I am over 6 feet tall and I have never been so cramped up. On the trip home, we had to hop back to Denver from LA after another 11 hour agonizing flight and it was amazing how much more room we had! I've always bitched about not having enough room on an airplane but never again, after that 11 hour trip from LA to Fiji, and another one back! Use another air carrier if possible!

Sigh....I am on that flight in June any advice other than chng airlines...a little late now.....

Sigh....I am on that flight in June any advice other than chng airlines...a little late now.....
I believe it's the only flight (code share with Quantas/Air NZ and perhaps even American)....I didn't know at the time but as I flew AA up from florida to LA, I could have checked my bags all the way through to Nadi, (instead of picking them up in LA, trundling over to the other terminal and re-checking them :dork2: ) - at least i got my FF points though.

We just got back - the flight was crammed, other than that - great trip with great diving.

We did a week on Kadavu with Dive Kadavu and the Mantana Beach Resort, then a week on the north side of the main island with Kai Viti Divers at the Wananavu resort. If doing the Kai Viti thing, paying extra for the long range 3-tank dive days is well worth it - you do much better dive sites than the more local 2-tanker

Beqa Lagoon resort gets my vote - a superb resort - great food - cheap diving,,,,brilliant full service dive operation under efficient management. Brilliant value for what it is...and I dived with a 15 foot Tiger shark there last July. A close second (maybe a little cheaper) would be Naigani Island...some of the best most untouched diving I have ever seen. More of a family style - fiji run homely dive resort. Great shore diving and snorkelling. Stay away formt he coral coast resorts - they always disappoint me.... ANother great option os Wananavu up near Raki Raki. And lastly, Kadavu has some great diving also, but is typically a lot cooler than the mainland - the island is quite isolated and food at the resort (Matana) can be a bit of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom