My pet peeve with dive instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
bouyancy.png

guages_dangling.png

These are screen shots from the SSI nitrox dvd that is used to supposedly train divers.

I really don't understand the logic behind these gear setups :shakehead:
1- you're gauges are NOT a plow, don't drag them dangling behind you beating against rocks and damaging the reef. Clip them across your body. I personally prefer high up on my right chest so I can glance down at it at any time.

2- What sense does it make to place your BACKUP 2nd stage away from your mouth? Spend 5 minutes and put it on a necklace where it's easy to access
backup_reg.jpg

3- This isn't easily seen in these screen shots, but stop having a dive knife contest with Crocodile Dundee. Your dive knife is mainly there to cut you out of fishing line and rope. Place a small one on your BC on top of your inflater hose where you can easily get to it, and use a snorkel strap to keep it from falling out. Keep a letter opener in your pocket for backup. Besides, placing a knife on your leg is placing it as far away from easy access as possible.

4- Stop weighting yourself so heavy that you nearly stand straight up in the water.

If there's a reason things are setup like this, please share it with me, I can't figure it out.

Yep, there's another SSI video with a shot at odds with the "don't touch" policy I teach.

That was one of the first thing I noted watching the SSI OW training video. Actually, I was watching it with my son. I told him, that is what you are not supposed to do, kicking the fan corals; just hope that those are students, and not the course director and his instructors.

You should see the NAUI Risk Awareness video...yikes! It does give me a chance to show my students what I don't want them to look like when they are done with the course though.
Ber :lilbunny:

Now, only place where I find it acceptable to be overweighted, and kicking the bottom is in a drift dive specialty video - where you purposely overweight yourself to keep on the bottom in a very fast flowing river or current. But I would make sure my gears are a little better secured.

I agree with securing gauges but it is personal preference where to put knife and backup second stage some people don't want it on a necklace since if another diver needs it you can pass it to them and if on a necklace you would have to share your primary.

Rubber necklaces are sold for $5.00 at many dive shops - in black, yellow, blue and pink. They are releasable and can be passed off to a buddy or janked off your neck with a simple tug.

I don't think SSI has a monopoly on bad video examples. I've seen other agency videos that are just as bad or worse! :11:

I don't think SSI has a monopoly on bad video examples. I've seen other agency videos that are just as bad or worse! :11:

You're probably right. I've almost every videos that PADI make, I am sure that I'd find troubling issues as well, just can't seem to remember a particular one right now.

I just hate the PADI music and all the marketing stuff they pack into every training video.

The only proper way to watch a PADI video is after 3-4 good stiff drinks. Then they are funny! If you sober, they are so stupid as to be painful and pretty much worthless.

Back
Top Bottom