Diving and Small Children

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solvil00

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are taking a short vacation at Key Largo. We would like to divethe Pennecamp NP however, we have a One Year old child and NO baby sitters. I have a feeling that the dive ops will probably not be willing to allow a wee one on the Boat but my Wife thought it would be a good idea to post the question here!

Thanks,
Martin

Desperate to Blow Bubbles!!!

Best place to ask would be the Dive Ops, worst they can do is say NO! But you'll have the right answer either way.

Of course, if your expecting to leave the child abord with both parents below... they might say Bleep NO!

My wife and I are taking a short vacation at Key Largo. We would like to divethe Pennecamp NP however, we have a One Year old child and NO baby sitters. I have a feeling that the dive ops will probably not be willing to allow a wee one on the Boat but my Wife thought it would be a good idea to post the question here!

Thanks,
Martin

Desperate to Blow Bubbles!!!

Man, I'll sacrifice a week of my vacation to come help you out! Just get me a ticket and a comfy place on the floor to sleep and you're set!

Oh yeah, Can I bring my wife and 2 year old son? :D

(sorry, i have no solution for you, most hotels have daycare)

Check with them...My wife and I regularly go out with our 1-year old.. the lad is with one of us while the other dives....they don't even charge us the full amount either...
maybe they can provide ya with a babysitter...?

I would suggest finding another couple on the boat, and having your husband dive with the other husband, and you dive with the wife, and alternate who's in the water. That seems reasonable enough.

most hotels have daycare

?!?

I don't think I've ever encountered a hotel that offers daycare...

Google "key largo hotels child care"

The first hit is the Key Largo Marriot.
"Child Care" is one of the amenities listed. In many cases, hotel don't provide child care themselves, but contract out with some local babysitting/nanny service. If you plan to use hotel-provided child care, be sure to call and make sure that they take 1 year olds.

Many times the conditions at Key Largo are such that the boats bounce around a lot. Personally, I think taking a small child out on a dive boat isn't a very good idea. If you aren't comfortable using child care via the hotel, then the best thing would be to just alternate dive days with your wife.

A good solution of course is to bring along a teenage relative or neighbor. The very best solution, except perhaps talking the grandparents into a trip. :)

Many times the conditions at Key Largo are such that the boats bounce around a lot. Personally, I think taking a small child out on a dive boat isn't a very good idea. If you aren't comfortable using child care via the hotel, then the best thing would be to just alternate dive days with your wife.

A good solution of course is to bring along a teenage relative or neighbor. The very best solution, except perhaps talking the grandparents into a trip. :)
Unless you have a privately chartered dive boat, it would also be rude to introduce a baby to others, where they couldn't leave, if they so desired.

Now let's think this thru a bit....----....I'm thinking the conclusion to this situation is fairly straight forward......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom