Diver Drowns at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is important to note that a sometimes overlooked skill of many inexperienced open water divers is the importance of making sure someone else knows the dive plan in case of an emergency. Briefing a friend or family member not joining you on that dive about where you are diving, the conditions you are diving in, your actual dive plan, and your return time allows them to give rescue personnel a head-start, so to speak, that sometimes leads to a rescue with a happy ending while in less fortunate circumstances a quick recovery operation that provides closure to the friends and family of the victim. His recovery would not have taken place so quickly had he not put this skill into practice by briefing someone else his dive plan in its entirety. May we at least learn to practice this skill more often from this unfortunate incident.

That is a truly excellent post. I always make it a priority to tell either Eric at Ginnie or Janet / ranger at Peacock, where I'm going on the dive, and when I should return. Although, we should probably start a new thread if we want to discuss this.

Safe diving all

Well said, 2T. When I solo my wife is always aware of my plan and I call her immediately before and after the dive. I also don't divert from the plan. If I come across something interesting, it gets noted for another dive.

...we should probably start a new thread if we want to discuss this...

I took your suggestion and put it into action. It can be found here in the Basic Scuba Discussions section.

Has there been any official updates on this incident or is it still being investigated? Anyone?

I haven't heard anything yet so I sit patiently and wait for the official report.

Back
Top Bottom