The importance of briefing your dive plan to a non-diving person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually tell the parents which spring I'm headed to, but only if I'm diving from home. If I dive at college, I tell them I'm diving only about half the time. Of course, I usually leave a note on facebook saying something to the effect of, "Blue springs: w00t!" which wouldn't be very helpful...

I think the idea of a note on the dash is a very good one, actually, and will probably start doing that.

When I tell my parents the spring I'm headed to, I usually tell them about when I'll be back, and 75% of the time I call them to let them know I am out of the water.

I'll be telling people more of my dive plan in the future, thanks for mentioning the importants of it, 2T!

I have to admit that I only give my kids (both adults) a basic plan like; Your mom and I will be diving at x tomorrow. I like the idea about text messaging “feet wet” & “feet dry”.

The accidents forum gives several good reasons to let the ones you love know where and when you are diving.

It's such a little thing to carry emergency numbers with you and to get your loved ones to do the same. ...

I had dog tags made up. On there I have my name, citizenship, two tel numbers, my DAN number, ID card and drivers license number. With that information someone can figure out who I am and where I live from anywhere in the world. It cost $10.-

I had dog tags made up. On there I have my name, citizenship, two tel numbers, my DAN number, ID card and drivers license number. With that information someone can figure out who I am and where I live from anywhere in the world. It cost $10.-

You got a link Freddy? :D

I like the note on the dash, although I don't know that anybody would look at it until it was much too late to do anything but know where to go get the bodies . . .

There are several great ideas mentioned in this thread, some I will certainly put into practice. I especially like Ber_Rabbit's post about emergency contact numbers and the idea of dogtags by Meng_Tze. Texting or calling "feet wet" & "feet dry" are also very good ideas. Thanks everyone for sharing this insight.

You got a link Freddy? :D

Almost any local Army-Navy Surplus Store is able to have them made up. Additionally, if you want to go the online route, Ranger Joe's or U.S .Cavalry both are able to produce them. U.S. Cavalry also has a little bit better of a slection for colors (black, silver or red).

Do a search for Boomerang Tags, their 'man tags' are larger, double sided and laser engraved.

I like the note on the dash, although I don't know that anybody would look at it until it was much too late to do anything but know where to go get the bodies . . .

There are always draw backs. When we left a note at park sites, we knew that rangers checked the lots 2x/day. But information where you are and when you expected to get back, well hopefully it will help in your recovery. Especially a recovery with a happy ending.

Dive safe,
Carolyn:sharks:

I would also like to add a word of caution to leaving a note on your dash as it lets those with bad intentions know precisely how much time they have to break into your vehicle. This practice should only be done in the most secure or remote of areas so you don't find your valuables and/or vehicle missing upon your return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom