Aquasafari Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I stayed at the Coz Palace after Thanksgiving 2007 and dove with Aqua Safari all week. We enjoyed the experience so much we're going back on March 29th for another week of diving. We took the "slow" boats each day because we enjoyed the relaxed pace and getting to know the other divers. Time to the first dive was anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hours. Then they'd motor back north to the second dive (60 foot max). The surface interval was an hour with a variety of snacks (fruit, drinks, and sometimes ham/cheese stuffed pastries). The ride back from the second dive was usually 35-45 minutes.

We only have praise for the operation, their focus on safety, and their attention to detail. They went out of their way to accomodate all skills levels from beginners to experienced. I thought their prices were excellent, especially for the service. When you went on the two tank morning dive ($60 per diver), you could add the shallow (40') afternoon Paradise Reef dive for another $9. $69 for three dives, now that's a bargain!

People praised the Palace enough. It is a great place.

Hello,
I have spent very little time on this board, as I dive infrequently. However, I rely on boards where people express their opinions to help me select hotels, dive shops, restaurants, etc. I suspect I may get bashed for my comments here, but for what it's worth, I was really surprised at how much reefmadness got bashed for his remarks. I would think the group pressure on a negative post would certainly discourage others who may have valid data, which can ultimately reduce the credibility of the board. Personally, if a guy had a bad time with a dive op, I'd like to hear about it, no matter how long ago. I ultimately base my decisions on the collective set of data, however if there's a negative theme among the data set, and it's on a point that is important to me, then I find that data useful. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone else would speak up at this point if they did have a negative experience with AS. I haven't seen many negative posts on dive ops, and I now wonder if this is just culture of the board. Having said that, the positive reviews are certainly a pleasure to read. So, flame on if you need to, but it's just my .02.

You make an interesting point. I think that for the most part dive ops in Coz range from OK to exceptional. Few are poor; the high bar means that the poorer ones simply cannot compete and go under. That said, a lot of the people on this board are Cozaholics and probably want to "keep the peace". Like I said, your comment caused me to pause and think a bit.

I was really surprised at how much reefmadness got bashed for his remarks. I would think the group pressure on a negative post would certainly discourage others who may have valid data, which can ultimately reduce the credibility of the board. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone else would speak up at this point if they did have a negative experience with AS. I haven't seen many negative posts on dive ops, and I now wonder if this is just culture of the board. QUOTE]

You make an interesting point. I think that for the most part dive ops in Coz range from OK to exceptional. Few are poor; the high bar means that the poorer ones simply cannot compete and go under. That said, a lot of the people on this board are Cozaholics and probably want to "keep the peace". Like I said, your comment caused me to pause and think a bit.

I was really surprised at how much reefmadness got bashed for his remarks. I would think the group pressure on a negative post would certainly discourage others who may have valid data, which can ultimately reduce the credibility of the board. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone else would speak up at this point if they did have a negative experience with AS. I haven't seen many negative posts on dive ops, and I now wonder if this is just culture of the board. QUOTE]

I've said this several times, but I guess one more won't hurt. I really liked the
servive I received from Aqua Safari when I dove with them both times! Furthermore,
I thought the instructor that provided for my friend a few years ago was top notch!
That being said, I still support reefmadness's right to tell his side of things even years
later whether it's deserved or not. Some times people form opinions based on good
reasons, and sometimes they're totally off base because they're just an ass, but
either way, the truth will come out. Aqua Safari has had tons of good posts because
of his one negative one, so anyone reading this thread should feel comfortable
diving with them. But I still defend reef madness saying what he did because it's his
right to express his opinion........

I used AS a couple of years ago, and they were aweseome. The only reason that I haven't used them on my last 2 trips was because we went down on a package deal thru my LDS and they used another shop. I actually just got back from Coz and we (my fiance' and I) went into their main shop to say hello to them.

I guess one dated negative comment can be acceptable. It just seems that this one seemed to have malice attached.
We all agree that Coz has some of the better Dive Ops around and they all work hard for their reputation and acceptance into our community.

I agree that negative comments should be welcomed, in the right context. Bitching just to be bitching is one thing, but if you had a bad experience I want to know about it also. I've had a few (not necessarily on Cozumel), posted them, and got flamed for it. When I have a bad experience, which is very rare, I want to share it so someone else does not get the same!

I have often seen signs in US restaurants: We reserve the right to refuse service.
If a restauranteur out of consideration to his clientele and/or staff refuses someone service, it's apparently a known and accepted right in the US.

In diving, I have the responsability for my staff's safety, and for my clientele's safety and enjoyment. Over the 30 years I've been in the dive business, I've perhaps turned 2 or 3 people a year away. If someone is so nervous or upset, that they'll upset the other divers around them, because they have upset the staff in the shop, we might refuse service or insist on a refresher with an instructor to see if they are safe. If we are busy and they are so particular, I'll advise them their particularities may not be met and they'd best try elsewhere for what they are looking for, and save my crews an onboard tantrum.

I find it very difficult to suffer a prospective client who comes in drunk. If they are prepaid I warn them if they smell of alcohol in the morning I won't be able to give them service.

I do believe in intuition and have refused clients that rubbed me and my staff wrong.
I once had a doctor in a medical seminar group hang around and ask the thousand questions until he made me nervous. He died of a massive heart attack the next day, regardless of all the doctors around him trying to resuscitate him. Call me superstitious. I do turn clients away.

It's impossible for me to be sure years later who a client was that I turned away, but to do advanced dives with us we have to first see you in the water and see if the divemasters are willing to take each specific diver to Punta Sur, Maracaibo, etc. - regardless of certification level and years of experience; it's ability that counts.

We will not take a diver off the street unknown on an advanced dive.
No exceptions regardless of certification level or claimed experience.
This has angered a few prospective clients over the years; a few.
Fortunately most divers understand that it's their guarantee that the diver next to them is also capable, will not likely hurt themselves or others including my divemasters; or simply ruin the dive for everyone.

Call me empirical, superstitious or stubborn, but Aqua Safari has not lost a diver - come up short from a dive, since 1977.

I have no idea why we might have sent this specific complaining diver "reefmadness" to the competition, but these are some of the reasons why I have in the past, without diving into instances of medical absolute contraindications as defined by the RSTC.

Fortunately I am willing and able to tell a client: "I'm going to have to survive without your money". - for the sake of my clients, my staff, and their families.

Saludos from sunny Cozumel,
Aqua Safari
Bill Horn

Bill well said and I fully agree with your. I have dove plenty of different ops. and can say that you have to, at times, turn the wrong customer away. If things don't feel right than chances are they're not.
I have nothing but an awesome experience with your dive op. and found your staff friendly and accommodating. Our bottom times were w/out limit or restriction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom