Woohoo - Finally did it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Finally signed up for DM class! First class room session starts in a week...now I appear to have a bit of reading to do... :)
I'm pumped!

Congrats on that....it's something I am thinking about doing in the future...but have a few more things to do first!

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

YeeHaa. I just started myself. Spent the day today doing the 400 meter swim, 800 meter fins, mask swim and all the 20 knowledge items. Got in the water at 9:00 and got out at 2:30. I am pretty well tired. But also really pumped. We have a class every Thursday night and a dive of some sort every Sat.

Good training.

you are going to love DM! lots of studying ahead of you. good luck!!!

I just started my DM, too. I have been interning for an OW class and have done section 1 of the workbook. Holy crap, a lot to learn in that section!

I learned SO much and had SO much fun with my DM. I'm still working on actually getting the card but really, one of the most challenging and fun courses I've taken!

Took my first exam last night...Decompression Theory...got 6 wrong on the first go-around. Yikes, tougher than I thought! How did you guys learn how to use the wheel? My instructor handed me The Wheel and its accompanying booklet and told me "I'll be back in a little while and you can take the exam then". Basically, wound up having to teach myself. So far, all we have done is gone through knowledge reviews and taken this test...not much instruction. Have to admit that I am a little disappointed...I'd be curious if this is a relatively common experience?

Jump over to the Going Pro forum and check out the Study Guide sticky at the top...should help you alot...Good Luck! :cheers:

Took my first exam last night...Decompression Theory...got 6 wrong on the first go-around. Yikes, tougher than I thought! How did you guys learn how to use the wheel? My instructor handed me The Wheel and its accompanying booklet and told me "I'll be back in a little while and you can take the exam then". Basically, wound up having to teach myself. So far, all we have done is gone through knowledge reviews and taken this test...not much instruction. Have to admit that I am a little disappointed...I'd be curious if this is a relatively common experience?

I had two options in doing my DM. One is a formal classroom work. One is you are on your own. I would be bored to death if someone were to teach me; so I chose the latter. When I met with my instructor, we whipped through the knowledge review I've already completed, and finished 3 of the 6 exams. Four days later, we finished the last of the 6 exams. I am a self learner, and it was much better for me. But I imagine others without a science background will need formal classwork, and I can respect that. My understanding is many programs expect you to self teach, and only have the instructor involved when you have problems. I think one should research this well before you sign up for a program. I learned the wheel from the booklet... Which took about 2 hours total, while I was on a flight to San Antonio. There are fine details printed on the wheel that you should review before the exam.

Good luck. Don't take the exam until you've completed the workbood for instructor candidate. Remember to memorize your conversions, and if you use metric, stay metric. If you use imperial, stay imperial. It is hard to memorize Kelvin/celcius conversion.... And harder yet to remember Kelvin/fahrenheit. So... chose your system, and memorize the conversions.

Don't fail the exams. Apparently, there are only 2 versions of it. Many places charge you a fee for administering the second one. Your instructor really shouldn't let you take the same test multiple times, because I don't think standard allows it.

Back
Top Bottom