Preferred dive equipment insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any preferrences in dive equipment insurance?

I know of DEPP and H2O, I'm not sure of any other company insuring dive gear.

I'm heading for Aruba in the next few weeks and the airlines have a very limited liability regarding loss or damage.

Does anyone have any preferrences in dive equipment insurance?

I know of DEPP and H2O, I'm not sure of any other company insuring dive gear.

I'm heading for Aruba in the next few weeks and the airlines have a very limited liability regarding loss or damage.

do you have DAN insurance, too? I think the preferred coverage covers airline loss or damages.
We used to have all our photo gear insured with DEPP but after 3years and not being able to contact them when we needed we switched. I had one small claim (less that $200) which took months and months to settle and they lost me over it.

We now have a "scuba & photo gear" package added onto our homeowner's policy. YOu can't do this with every insurance company and some say if you make a claim they will raise your homeowner's insurance so talk to them first. Ours worked out well for us and costs half what DEPP was charging us. WE haven't had a claim as we are very careful with our stuff, but it is nice to have the coverage just in case.

I am changing to State Farm to insure my photo stuff for a "Personal Article Coverage". It does not have a deductible and is MUCH cheaper than other insurance. I believe that it is about $1.34 per $100 covered per year. You can cover however much you want up to the full price of the gear. It covers all losses without exclusion like many companies have.

i unfortunaely couldn't get State Farms Personal Artucles - they define Florida (or at least my part of it) as a "coastal region" and will not write any more policies....and after hearing people's troubles with DEPP, I'm probably going to go with the DAN one. Personal Articles would have been my fist choice though.

Actually, check with the company that does your homeowners' or even renters' insurance. Most have some sort of additional property insurance which covers Scuba gear.

I am with State Farm and we have coverage through them. However, I have had insurance on sporting equipment and jewelry with USAA, Farmers and Safeco in the past.

I am changing to State Farm to insure my photo stuff for a "Personal Article Coverage". It does not have a deductible and is MUCH cheaper than other insurance. I believe that it is about $1.34 per $100 covered per year. You can cover however much you want up to the full price of the gear. It covers all losses without exclusion like many companies have.

I have my camera equipment covered through USAA as a personal article as well. $1500 worth of coverage with no deductible costs me $24 per year... so $2 a month. It is nice to know that if my DC600 gets flooded I can have it replaced for free. I also have a Canon Rebel XTi covered in the plan.

Now, as far as my other dive gear, I am thinking about going with Dive Assure to get medical, trip, and gear insurance in one deal (Diamond Plan).

Hi Folks,

I've had DAN's sponsored H2O insurance (Written by Fireman's Fund) for a couple of years now. On a recent dive trip, my camera bag slipped off my belt on deck and my Nikon D100 plus the Sigma 28-80 lens attached to it became inoperable.

I didn't even think about insurance at first, since this was my clumsy error. But when I called DAN just for the heck of it, and honestly described the event, the claims person said "no problem". She asked me to simply email scans of my original purchase receipts and my PayPal receipts from ebay for the replacement purchases. I had a check in my hands within a few days, no further questions asked.

When you sign up for the insurance, you list all the equipment you wish to insure, ascribe dollar values based on your purchase receipts and pay a premium based on the total dollar amount you're insuring. I pay $210 a year on $6980 worth of photo and dive gear. There is a $100 deductable, but considering the fact that they pay cash and don't make you jump through any hoops, seems well worth it. A hundred bucks to replace about a thousand in lost equipment was very palatable to me!

Can't praise their service enough.

Best,

Peter

Just got off the phone with my state farm agent about this, as I am currently pondering moving away from DEPP and doing a personal article policy in addition to my renter's insurance. It all sounds pretty good, EXCEPT that the State Farm policy does not cover "normal wear and tear." This basically means that if my camera housing floods due to a worn o-ring, they won't replace it. According to my agent, as long as I can make a case for the flooding being due to some unexpected, unforeseen event, even user negligence such as a forgotten o-ring, they would cover it at replacement value.

I'm tempted to do that, as the price would be much cheaper than my current DEPP plan, but I"m still a little nervous what would happen if I had a flooding with no apparent cause, which is very likely. I hate to pay more money than I have to, but at the same time it's reassuring to know that DEPP won't care about the reason for the flooding and just cover it.

Any ideas/experiences?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom