Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI..
I own a spare air and a pony bottle... and both have their place in diving. Spare air also has a significant place in the military and transportation sectors as many airplanes, helicopters and even humvees carry spare airs in them (usually under the pilots mor drivers seats.)

If I'm diving to 100ft you'll most likely see me with a 30cf pony bottle. If I'm perusing along a reef in the Keys or Carribean you're likely to see me with a Spare Air. They travel easily and pony's generally arent available in resort destinations.

With all that said... the Northeast divers (and others in areas like that) are likely using straight ponies in the 19 - 40cf range... but even more are diving independent doubles 80cf or bigger.

If I'm diving with 2 130's... I won't have a pony bottle too... I'll have a Spare Air for the dummy who blows two 130's dry before he decides to surface. A spare air is all he deserves for his DECO stop... LOL JK...

Sounds like a conversation we were having yesterday!

Chris

Spare Air does not give enough air to make a real difference. A diver can literally breathe ten times normal tidal air (about 1-1/2 pints that we normally breathe) when panicked or in trouble. Depending on depth and the volume of the Spare air, a diver can breathe it empty in a minute or two. Also, a spare air can easily be dropped and lost, when passing it off for example, or by the user if it's not secured to the user. We are trained to use second stages on hoses - the spare air is different. Unless you train with it often and in realistic stressful conditions then the chances of failure in a real life out-of-air emergency are high. Another serious concern is that you need one hand to hold the spare air to use it. If things are going wrong you want to have both your hands free! - as they can be when using a pony bottle regulator. A pony regulator is the same as a primary regulator.

stay safe always, good question,
Andrea
teamlgs.com

When I used my pony in Mexico last year, I can hear the DM joking about it. About the third day, one of them nicely asked me not to use it as it caused too much "drag". I didn't noticed any significant drag, and was able to keep up with the group with very good air consumption.

It must be a macho thing, diving without a pony. Perhaps one would look more manly with a little 1 cu ft spare air??

When I used my pony in Mexico last year, I can hear the DM joking about it. About the third day, one of them nicely asked me not to use it as it caused too much "drag". I didn't noticed any significant drag, and was able to keep up with the group with very good air consumption.

It must be a macho thing, diving without a pony. Perhaps one would look more manly with a little 1 cu ft spare air??

Not so much of a macho thing. Most likely they were trying to keep you from looking silly.

Diving in warm clear water to recreational depths with buddy teams hardly requires a pony. In fact it makes things more dangerous. I am sure you don't beleve that (neither did I at one time) but it is true.

Diving in warm clear water to recreational depths with buddy teams hardly requires a pony. In fact it makes things more dangerous. I am sure you don't beleve that (neither did I at one time) but it is true.
Pony bottle, not Spare Air? I got to wonder about that remark? :confused:

Not so much of a macho thing. Most likely they were trying to keep you from looking silly.

Wreck dive, strong current, square profile 90ft with penetration??? I wouldn't mind looking silly.

Going to Bonaire in April - I'll be the "silly" looking guy packing around his 6 cu ft. bail out bottle. Now that I've said 6 cu ft the other contingent can now continue the discussion how that is really not big enough as well. As the world turns!

Quick question: For some reason neither pony bottles or spare air units are popular in my local diving community. My main concern would be weight...what would be practical to carry in an easy diving situation (warm water in recreational diving depths with minimum current?)

I realize a unit would be near-neutral underwater, but what am I going to be hauling around topside if I purchase one? Thanks for any info.

I think my 13 cu ft pony is about 10 lbs with reg. I think it is about 2 to 3 pounds negative, so you should be able to shed about 2 to 3 lbs of lead off your weight belt.

Quick question: For some reason neither pony bottles or spare air units are popular in my local diving community. My main concern would be weight...what would be practical to carry in an easy diving situation (warm water in recreational diving depths with minimum current?)

I realize a unit would be near-neutral underwater, but what am I going to be hauling around topside if I purchase one? Thanks for any info.

I think my 13 cu ft pony is about 10 lbs with reg. I think it is about 2 to 3 pounds negative, so you should be able to shed about 2 to 3 lbs of lead off your weight belt.
The 6cf is rated at 4.2#, 13 cf - 7.5, 19cd - 9.7#, 30 cf - 13.1#. Scuba Tanks including Blue Steel, Luxfer, Catalina and Submersible Systems Spareair at Divers Direct With the similarities in weight, price, and they all still need the same reg and Spg, I went with the 19cf: With reg = 12# or so I have to hump onto the boat, stand with, climb ladder with.
Going to Bonaire in April - I'll be the "silly" looking guy packing around his 6 cu ft. bail out bottle. Now that I've said 6 cu ft the other contingent can now continue the discussion how that is really not big enough as well. As the world turns!
Awww, look at the cute little baby tank. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom