A question of etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No? Forgetting about humanitarian concerns and other fuzzy crap, do you have any idea what an Air Force pilot or an F-22 costs?

So, you are of the opinion that our government cares about the cost of either one?

Computer problems are computer problems and should warrant ending the dive anyways. Having a spare SPG isn't going to solve not knowing what your bottom time and/or depth is.

Late getting on this thread.

In my opinion, computers have their place in diving. I do use a multi gas computer for technical diving.

Computers in general are shunned by the DIR community...computers can be confusing and have too many failure points. Computers with a transmitter are problematic in overhead environments where the transmitter can easily be snapped off.

I use a non-integrated Nitek 3 and a bottom timer plus SPG and cheap stop watch for most of my diving.

dive with as little as you like but don't sacrifice safety ,I dive cold water usually not deep mostly 20 meters or less still out of air is out of air soon I hope to get a Datamask when I see how they are doing but there is not a chance of me giving up my spg if nothing else it give me sometinng to wave at my buddy so he will check his air

Just putting this out there... I have nothing against DIR guys, I'm not into it myself but...I would think having a computer would give extra redundancy to diving "tables", thus adding extra safety? I don't know tons about DIR, so don't kill me if I have a misconception.

Last edited:
in reading a lot of the tech manuals, you will see that NO, i repeat NO transmitters are used and you use one (just one) brass spg, clipped on to your harness. this is one hose, and no huge console. as my recreational rig, i dive an apeks xtx200 with an egress octo and a brass spg, with the Vytec DS as my computer. i have the transmitter, and if the TRANSMITTER takes a crap, thats where your spg comes in and you do not need to end the dive. the transmitter going bad does not affect the computer. i love the transmitter, but again, that is RECREATIONAL diving. in a tech situation, no transmitters, no octo, and only one brass spg. it all depends on the kind of diving you are doing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom