Spinning - WOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Had my first spinning class today. Wow!

I'm one of those people who put Spinning in the class of the latest fad machine and worth just about as much.

But, when I was talking to one of the trainers at the gym about needing to figure out a way to get my butt and body in shape for summer biking she suggested Spinning. I figured the class was cheap and she told me I could quit at any time during the class. So, today I tried it.

After the 45 minute class all I can say is: If I can walk tomorrow I'm doing it again. And I'm going to keep on doing it.

If you are a cyclist. Or you want to be a cyclist. Or you just want an excellent low impact leg and cardio workout this is something you must try.

Yeah, that will help you to burn a ton of calories. I usually try to ride the bike at the gym for at least 30 minutes 3 days a week. You might be a little sore after your first workout, but you should recover fairly quick. It will also get better after each time you go.

I've heard that Spinning is a great way to burn the calories. I have been a little scared to try it because I just started getting back in shape. I figure it might be a bit too much since I'm just starting out or maybe I'm just a :chicken:

After my spin class, I am good for at least .5 to 1lb weight loss. It is a fun class but even with padded bike shorts, my tailbone hurts afterward.

I've had two classes now. After the first one Wednesday I was impressed. Since I didn't feel too bad yesterday I went back for a second class. Now I'm even more impressed. I bought a punch ticket where I pay for 10 and get the 11th "free".

What is Spinning? Can't say for everywhere, but here it is riding a stationary bike that has a regular bike seat, yes one of those skinny things, and a front wheel where resistance can be adjusted by the rider. The Class Leader plays an upbeat mix and leads us through simulated level, hill climbs, hill descents, and varying paces.

Our leader calls the different tensions by using a number from 0 to 10. But, the adjustments aren't marked. So, it is up to the rider to say what any particular number is. So, my "5" might be a lot different than your "5".

Since each rider sets their own difficulty level there is no reason why anyone can't spin. Our leader even makes it plain that anyone is welcome to leave at any time they are tired, need to make another appointment, or anything else. That makes it so the only person you need to compete with is yourself. Wonderful!

Oh yes, I should mention that riders need to drink plenty of water during the class to keep from being dehydrated. You can tell if you are dehydrating yourself by weighing yourself immediately before and immediately after exercise. The numbers should be pretty close to the same. If the post exercise number is low you are dehydrated and if it is high you have consumed a bit too much water.

I have been spinning for almost 15 years .It is probably one of the best calorie burners .My resting heartrate is 51 BPM. and I am 57 years old.

About the water consumption you can never consume too much water while exercising your body is very capable or "expelling" it if need be.Also always drink before you feel thirsty this way you will keep yourself well hydrated.

I forgot to ask my doctor what my heart rate was but my bp was 118/70 and I'm almost as old as you are.

I have a bike trainer (regular bike on a stationary stand) in the garage- how is that different? other than the fact that you have a trainer pushing you harder?

I have a bike trainer (regular bike on a stationary stand) in the garage- how is that different? other than the fact that you have a trainer pushing you harder?

Spinning is a group class, if the people next to you aren't gasping and dying you could try talking to them. It is a lot more sociable and fun than just riding by yourself on a stationary bike. Plus there is music that is played (think an aerobic exercise class) with songs that have different beats and tempos. The trainer leading the class will simulate different things with the different tracks of songs. A fast sprint, stand up paddling and everything. Most people who just ride a stationary bike don't change or adjust their pace. Also, since it is a group class, the trainer often don't push you harder but rather encourage you to go at your own pace. So if you want to crank up the resistance until you can barely paddle and want to do that for the whole class go right ahead.

Cycling be it stationary or an actual bike is easy on your joints yet good for your lower body and cardio. Just remember to be courteous and wipe down that bike for the people in the next class.

Back
Top Bottom