Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to Ian T for the tips.

Another non diving related question. Is it expensive to take taxis ? Would it be OK for a woman to take one (head, arms and legs covered) ?
Thanks again

Malène

Hiya,

Well, the public transport here will only take you in-between the larger towns, from Mct to Nizwa etc...there is no public transport in Muscat, only taxis etc.. so unless you do what Kruz did, 'rent a guide with a car' - you are stuck in the Muscat area.
Prices...well...you can rent a car for hmm...US40+ a day... taxi drivers tend to prey on tourists and going by taxi the whole time, you will most likely end up paying a lot more each day (especially in Muscat) unless you speak Arabic and is willing to spend a lot of time each day to haggle with 'em...

I assume you are all talking about diving in the area around Muscat....the best dive sites are the Dimaniyat Islands, lots and lots of fishlife - big and small... the only dive center going out there every day is Daymaniyat Divers located at Al Sawadi Beach Resort. If you use the dive centers in Muscat, it's quite a long boat drive...
In and around Muscat, there are only two dive sites worth visiting - the Al Masannah wreck and Fahal Island.. but then that's my opinion...

Malene, there is no need for you to cover up - what we recommend to our visitors is 3/4 length for legs (ie no shorts or miniskirts - you will however see women wearing this in Musat and the omanis don't really appreciate it...) and as long as you cover your shoulders (no tanktops) - you will be fine... if you are at a dive center or resort, you can wear whatever you want..
You don't have to cover your hair at all.

Unless you visit the SQ Mosque, then you have to be completely covered - hair, ancles, wrists and they do have guards denying you entrance if you haven't...

the only dive center going out there every day is Daymaniyat Divers located at Al Sawadi Beach Resort. If you use the dive centers in Muscat, it's quite a long boat drive...

Global scuba (Muscat) also,maybe not every day but few times a week

Thanks to Ian T for the tips.

Another non diving related question. Is it expensive to take taxis ? Would it be OK for a woman to take one (head, arms and legs covered) ?
Thanks again

Malène

Malene, Mr frogoutofwater and I visited Oman in the spring of 2005 and loved our experience there. We took a taxi every day from our hotel (the Best Western) to the BlueZone Dive Centre. It was not cheap, but that's partly because we didn't bargain much with our driver because he was really nice and offered excellent service. We took a taxi on our first morning and he offered to pick us up and take us back to the hotel - and then offered to pick us up and take us to the dive centre each day. On the first morning, he noticed I was looking for the seatbelt in the backseat and couldn't find it because it was pinned under the seat. When he picked us up that afternoon, the seatbelts had been pulled out. The car was spotless (I think taxi drivers get fined if their cars aren't cleaned), always on time (usually early) and quietly friendly.

We also negotiated with him to drive us to the Al Sawadi resort, about an hour north of Muscat. Half way there, he stopped at a convenience store and, through a combination of English and charades, asked me if I'd like to come with him. I wanted to stock up on soft drink for the hotel mini bar, so I accepted his offer. When I walked up to the counter with him with a half dozen drinks, he insisted on paying - and then put the change in the "coins for orphans box". (Yes, I know that means we were over-paying a little -but he was so nice and kind, it seemed worth the price.)

We felt so safe and comfortable in Oman that we actually picked up hitchhikers when driving between towns in the more remote areas. Honestly, Oman felt like the safest placed I'd ever been.

In terms of clothing, I wore cropped trousers and 3/4 sleeve blouses most of the time.

Kruz,
Well, I am not really going to recommend a dive op who only goes to the Dim's 'a couple of times a week' - if I did and Malene missed out - I would sort of look like a fool... Global Scuba is also somewhat creative in how they do their dives...(c8

Yes all cars have to be clean (on the outside) or you will be fined...

wit regards to taxis, expect to pay about 10 times more than locals do...that's why I bought a car...(c8

Oman is a very safe country but there are crimes, so you can't be 100% trusting..

cheers

Hello,
The dive center I am going to dive with will go at least once during the week to the Damanyat Islands, possibly twice weather permitting.
Regarding activities besides diving, I was planning a tour in the Old City, ahaving aa look at the Souk and maybe going, if other divers go, travel to Nizwah.
In any case, I am sure I'll have a great time !
Of course, I'll let you how it went when I get back!

did my first post certification dives at Jissah in December.
Vis was terrible on the first one, an afternoon dive, with about 1.5 metres.

Did 2 more dives the next day when the vis was up to 5m.

planning to go diving at Musandam as soon as a hamstring injury clears up

Back
Top Bottom