Only get one chance to start this fascinating sport....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbdave once bubbled...

CCR's are for experienced divers only.

And

Nitrox is for technical diving only....

Tri Mix is for technical diving only...

DIR is the only safe way to dive...

Deco diving is for technical diving only...

Going deeper then 60ft is for technical diving only....

All of these statements are wrong.... You all have awfully big heads.... You're starting to sound like what you hate. The DIR crowd.... Even though only a handfull of them stress it as strongly as you stress your opinions....

Nobody else but you could dive a RB.... They'd all just die....

Nitrox and Tri Mix can get expensive and you need to take the classes.

You'd need some experience on OC. There are less things to go wrong and you need to be comfortable underwater. You're task loading. Although your Bouyancy skills are different for an RB. OC is safer to learn. And get comfortable with. Then you add another task to the ones you already know. If you have problems clearing your mask and your diving an RB and have problems, what are you gonna do? Alot of basic skills to learn. Not huge hurdles. But you need to be comfortable underwater.

After saying this. Nobody will teach you to use a RB without some OC experience. Unless you have really deep pockets. Then I'm sure somebody would.

But you can die easier on an RB then on OC. More things to go wrong. Especially if you do something stupid... Which I did alot of when I was learning.

Flame away all the DIR RB zealots...

Trixter once bubbled...
I wanna go technical and I wanna go deep. I also do not want to go open circuit at all.(but I may have to get at least the OW and AOW)
Trixter,

It's the comments like these that set off troll alarms. "Technical" and "Deep Diving" are NOT extreme sports, and that seems to be the view that your are approaching this activity with. There's nothing extreme about sitting in the water doing decompression stops.

The activities you aspire to require, perhaps above all, discipline. Tech diving is a "mental" activity - not a bungee yo-yo ride to the depths and back to brag about going beyond 200' or whereever. The Richard Pyle comment you quoted is very relevant here.

It's hard to reconcile your aspirations to dive long and deep before even being open water certified, with your knowledge of the discipline required!

I'm not a RB diver, but plan to look into them at some point in my diving future. There is simply more to diving *any* piece of equipment whether it be OC, SCR, CCR, or hooka than a "comprehensive knowledge" of Boyle, Dalton or Henry.

Basic buoyancy? Ear clearing? Finning technique? Any number of additional technical skills that should be learnt without throwing in the complexity of a device like a CCR into the mix.

I'm pretty sure that the air force doesn't sit you in an F-22 for basic flight school.

Hello,

Your comments are all taken to heart.

You are absolutely correct, there is a ton to learn BEFORE the added complexity of throwing a very serious tool into the mix.

I have been taken under the wing of a very experienced, very accomplished diver. He has agreed to act as my mentor in this endeavor. In fact he posts on this board very frequently.

I am not even going to CONTEMPLATE the idea of a CCR until after nitrox training and maybe then after trimix and heliox. Learn gas physics and dive physiolgy and the basic skills of diving. Those areas are to be concentrated on and mastered before strapping on a CCR!!!!

Thank you for the comments Scubaroo and Mvrick, they are wholeheartedly appreciated!!!

Respectfully,
Trixter

Hi Mverick,

If you don't think CCR's are for experienced divers how many dives on OC do you think appropriate before getting one?

Cheers

Dave

I find nothing wrong with the prism comment, it IS a well built, designed and tested machine. Pete really knows his material when it comes to this area.
Sure, my comment wasn't directed against Pete or Steam Machines. Check the original post again:
It is so well built, how can anyone not want one?
It's the latter part of the sentence that is devious. I'm sure plenty of people want a Prism, in fact more than can be delivered ...
At least he's not wanting to use some of the death traps that's out there.
Ah, I wish these kinds of inflammatory comments could be avoided. They're a troller's delight: "Let's get these RB strokes fighting out among themselves on which death trap will kill you the fastest ..."

I'm not aware of any "death traps" out there right now. The biggest RB killer of them all in the West is ... the old 1950s French Navy DC55! (Surprised?)

But it's direct descendant, the Halcyon RB80, is actually a very safe rebreather indeed if the user is properly trained ... As for Trixter,
I am not even going to CONTEMPLATE the idea of a CCR until after nitrox training and maybe then after trimix and heliox. Learn gas physics and dive physiolgy and the basic skills of diving. Those areas are to be concentrated on and mastered before strapping on a CCR!!!!
... well, this is different from ...
I also do not want to go open circuit at all
Anyway, welcome to diving. You'll enjoy OW class, I think everybody does.

Looking at the original question: What is fastest way that I can get to closed circuit rebreather? Answer : I don't know as I'm not a CCR diver. I do have an interest which is why I read this forum amongst others. I have had to bring a nonbreathing CCR diver back to the surface when things went pear-shaped.

But my question to you is why rush? Diving is about experience-good and bad. You learn from this.

Its good to have a mentor and hopefully they will challenge you to fully explore what diving has to offer.

I find it hard to reconcile your original post with the later post. They are contradictory.

To Mverick: how does hating DIR come into this?

Trixter once bubbled...
However; it has been noted by some very distinguished sources that all the OC experience in the world offers NO advantage when training to use a CCR. A comprehensive knowledge of gas physics and dive physiology is perhaps more important as noted below.

Maybe, but as a new CCR diver my previous OC experience came in damn handy when I was blowing around like a leaf in high current with up and down drafts. As I have done nasty current dives before on OC, I only needed to focus on the CCR.

Class was stressful enough with the instructor mucking with the equipment, holding down bottoms, turning off valves and various other nasty things. I doubt I would have been too successful if I was a newbie diver too.

You should print off this thread and save it. When you get 100 CCR dives then re-read it. I'm sure some of the responses will make more sense.

- Kent

Actually there are points to be made on both sides of the coin. Excellent water skills should be a priority in any diving oc or rb. With that said I do know one person who went through all programs diving ccr. He had the availibility of a great instructor and did all courses on ccr. I dive with him often and consider him to be a fine ccr diver.....I would'nt be able to recommend that route, but I have seen it done.....

I actually know Trixter and can tell you that he isn't a troll. Now I can't comment on rebreathers because I haven't done the research, to be honest I don't think I am going. I agree that Trixter should take some time and get the fundumentals of the sport down and I have suggested this, even though I am pretty new to diving myself. I too plan on going tech but only when my mentors and I feel that I am completely ready for it. At this point I just want to enjoy the sport to my best ability. I'm not as "book smart" as trixter is, and he has done his homework folks, trust me we have some good conversations, but with time it will all work it's way out. Safe diving to all, no matter how you decide to do it.

Something else to keep in mind is that a bailout option for some CCRs is to switch to open circuit.

Anyway I think Trixter has already said that he has decided to do OC training first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom