Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robynn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I live here because of the diving. If anyone has any questions about diving in this area feel free to ask as I have about 300 dives here. Great place for a holiday too, that's how I got hooked in the first place and then did a Shirley Valentine and came and lived here.

I agree,great place for holiday,we had great time in Muscat and surrounding area and great diving of course.

What is the best time to dive in Oman??? I probably want to visit Oman this year and I would like to combine it with some diving....

Hello,
I am going to Muskat next month.
Is there any chance to see whales at this time of year ?
I have planned 5 days for diving and two days for sightseeing ? What you recommend, preferably without having to rent a car ?
Thanks

I'll try to answer both questions...
Difficult to answer about best time - depends on where you are going and what you want in a dive.. You can have great viz in one dive site off, for example, Muscat and then crap 10 miles away...what can I say - it's the sea...
Viz is usually better in the summer but then you would have temperatures between 45 and 57-58C which is a tad hot...
Marine life is good all year, water temp ranges from 24 right now (cold as hell-o) and 33-35 in the summer..
Whales..well there is always a chance but probably not, in 6 years here I have seen whales 3 times on the surface and once on a safety stop (8m Brydes whale)...
Off Muscat you'll most likely see dolphins (spinners) from the dive boat but you can't get in the water with them. I only know of a few people who have seen dolphins while diving...

Sightseeing without renting a car means you are stuck in Muscat...go to the traditional suq (market) in Muttrah one evening, spend a morning at Sultan Qaboos Mosque (not open for visits on Thurs-Fri), remember to cover legs, arms (3/4 length is not enough) and hair...Fish market in A'Seeb is different - nice but different... Go for a walk in the mountains in Ruwi..There are a couple of museums worth visiting... Qurm Park... afternoon tea in the lobby of Al Bustan Palace (don't know if they have re-opened though)...
Other people will probably offer you different advice...but with only two days for sightseeing...
Check Lonely Planet's website...

Cheers
Ian

Sightseeing without renting a car means you are stuck in Muscat...

Do you mean that there is not a lot of public transport outside Muscat or is it for her 2 days difficult to go outside Muscat without a rented car? Because I would like to travel the country for approx. 3 weeks by public transport and make a few dives somewhere in those weeks.

Can you recommend some good divespots, preferably with good marine life (not necessary large marine large, I can enjoy small too)?

We had 2 days wonderful trips from Muscat. We rented a guide with car at tourist agency from our hotel(Qurum hotel). First was Nizwa with surrounding area - fortresses(portugese and omani), and second was Wadi Shab'Tiwi,Sikhole(amazing!!!!).

Here are some pics so you can see the beauty of Oman

Wadi Shab

WadiShab1.jpg

Sinkhole

Sinkhole1.jpg

Sultan Qaboos mosque

GrandMosque.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom