Diving after Fifty??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My grandfather's doctors told him at age 30 he would not live a long life. He survived to 95, outliving some nine doctors.

If diving after age 50 shouldn't be done, I guess I've overcome the odds for the last 10 years and have done (without question) the most intense diving of my 47 year diving "career."

Let's see now, this is the 3rd thread going on this subject. How many do we need? :confused:

Seriously, the first one has the exact same title as this one and I believe was moved from this forum to "Diving Medicine"

The second is titled "Bad Press For "Older" Divers" and is in the "Accidents and Incidents" forum. That one does have the original report with pictures of DS on it. Hey I guess the third times a charm eh? :):):)

I'm a dive instructor who didn't get certified as an instructor until my mid-50's. I teach monthly and dive routinely. As others have mentioned, if one is in reasonable physical shape then diving at 50+ or any age for that matter isn't an issue. Life is too short not to enjoy diving!

Well, the doctors spend a lot of time in classes to get smart and spend a lot of money to get smart so I guess that they are smart so I will believe them and continue to lie about my age.:)

I was certified at age 57, passed my Rescue Diver cert a few days before my 60th birthday. So far, I've made 448 dives, and the deepest dive has been 135 feet. And the photo at left was taken a few weeks ago in Cozumel. Give up diving?? You got to be kidding; I'm just getting warmed up..............

In one of the other threads I mentioned that DAN would be all over the diving over 50 question since alot of those guys are over 50. They aren't. 2 things anyone over 50 should do with regard to diving. Check with your doctor and go diving.

Blimey, I've just turned 50! Perhaps I shouldn't get that pricey Scubapro MK25 S600 reg that I promised myself. On the other hand, getting old might be a good reason to upgrade the equipment that helps me breathe underwater.

62 , dive a few days a week,(year round) , seldom dive at depths less than 70ft., spearfish for food. Dive with "kids" who complain about 3 and 4 tanks a day.

Dive till you don't come up! Just do it safely.

The article indicates that diving after fifty is not recommended. Can anyone fill me in on this? :confused:

The article was probably written by a 20 something who thinks folks over 50 should be relegated to a wheelchair in a nursing home:D

I'm 55 and still diving. Last fall while doing my check out dives for my Master Diver certification my dive buddy was 80 years old. He is hard to keep up with. He dives with everything he has and often out lasts me. I just hope I'm still going that strong at that age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom