Any reviews on diving on Isla Mujeres??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I am planning a trip to Isla Mujeres in April. I have researched the dive shops and decided to go with Coral Dive Center and stay at there little apartment hotel.
However someone told me that is I was going for the diving I was better off to go to Cozumel. My travel buddy is not a diver and we picked the Island because of the quiet.

I am hoping someone will give this little Island a thumbs up regarding the diving or am I just wasting my time??

thanks a bunch

I am not familiar with diving the area, but I am familiar with the area. You aren't wasting your time. Even if you HATE Isla Mujeres, you are only like 40 miles from Cozumel. It is an easy day trip.

We're headed to Isla Mujeres next week--it will not disappoint you. I was certified there (at Coral Scuba), and have a real soft spot for the place. Cozumel has better diving, sure, but Isla Mujeres has fine, easy dives, and the island itself can't be beat. (One point of clarification--Cozumel is not what I would call an easy day trip from Isla Mujeres--you're looking at a 2 1/2 or 3 hour commute in either direction, involving two ferry rides and a longish haul overland.)

We're headed to Isla Mujeres next week--it will not disappoint you. I was certified there (at Coral Scuba), and have a real soft spot for the place. Cozumel has better diving, sure, but Isla Mujeres has fine, easy dives, and the island itself can't be beat. (One point of clarification--Cozumel is not what I would call an easy day trip from Isla Mujeres--you're looking at a 2 1/2 or 3 hour commute in either direction, involving two ferry rides and a longish haul overland.)

I have never done it, but I have read that the ferry ride from Isla Mujeres is about 15 minutes. Once you cross over you are roughly 40 - 50 miles from PDC. Then you have a choice - you can hit the ferry to Coz that leaves about every hour and takes roughly 20 minutes, or you can jump on with a dive boat leaving PDC and head straight to a dive site off of Coz. Total travel time, if you plan it right, is about an hour and 15 minutes if you stop in PDC, 2 if you head all the way to Coz. Personally, I classify that as an easy day trip, but to each his own.

scuba girl- give alvaro a shot at always diving, good operator..... you'll really like the isle...

isla mujures,
yeah cool place, rent a golf cart, get a 6 pack (its ok) and cruise around the island, playa norte is the only descent beach around cancun and isla, its a beuatiful spot and check out the sunset grill on playa norte, if you see a big grey weimeraner dog and a tall englishman thats me and saxon!, i head over there at least twice a month!
as far as the diving goes, its enough to keep you busy for three days, "manchones" is a great novice reef, full of life, formations and just 30ft, the "punta sur" drift is a cool one too, turtles dude! and the "cave of sleeping sharks", dont bother, the hurricanes wiped that one out.
get a adventure 2 tank dive to the c 58 in cancun, thats the best dive in town, full of eagle rays and one other tour, isla contoy, now its a nature/bird sanctuary, in june the whale sharks come in to eat!
enjoy your holiday

Awesome thanks so much for replying. So you own a dive shop in Cancun? Does your dive shop dive cenotes?

Scubagirl, I just got back from Cancun and if you want so see some of the pictures I have them up on flickr, Flickr: Photos from a_doghouse
Ben was great to go with, and you can trust his info. (not saying you cannot trust anyone else, I just cannot vouch for them)

You are going to love the trip. Most of the dives are drift dives as there is a good surge and current, that will do all the work for your.

hey roxanne,
yep, mayan aqua dive is my op, well along with a couple mexican girls but i run the show, im 26 and found 2 grey hairs, not cool! dream job?? absolutly!
we do run cenote trips, we ll pick you up at the ferry dock cancun side too, daniel and gwen are the cavern guides,really good young guys, full of expereince and still a massive passion for their diving, just drop me a line for any more info, im more tha happy to help out

ben

Back
Top Bottom