Would you expect compensation from a live-aboard operator if…

Is some form of compensation warranted

• Yes

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted yes, at least half. They should have quaranteened the boat after the first week, called you, and asked if you still wanted to do the cruise. Then given you a full refund if you chose not to. Not after you have already arrived and on deck. A week and clorox rubdown should get them back running as mentioned in their protocal. Not amonia as in the windex they used.

Did you notice the Physician's post stating that the virus is spread by touch and droplets? Inanimate objects do not spread it, not bedding, not surfaces, not food, etc.

It cannot be really established if they caught the bug described in post one from the crew, from the other boat passengers, from airplane passengers, from family members before leaving, etc. It may coincidental and/or psychosomatic that others onboard had similar symptoms of uncultured viruses. Impossible to say.

I'm sorry buy unless you are talking about the Plague, a quaranteening the boat is a bit much...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Just wanted to post a quick Thank You for remaining respectful of each other while being able to have a lively debate!

Why do I feel like my mom just took me off of "Time Out"? :)

But the bottom line is if the boat is taking the $$$ then they should be taking reasonable actions to protect their guests. The captains claim of his recognising 3 of the guests coming aboard sick is just another example of the boat taking the money and doing nothing to protect the other guests. This can't be an uncommon problem in this business.
There is a protocol for preventing the spread of Norwalk-like viruses. Norwalk-like viruses spread through contaminated food and water, contaminated surfaces, and contaminated hands. I posted part of the protocol in post #10 after jumping to the conclusion that this was such a virus, easily contained with frequent hand-washing and careful attention to basic hygiene. Having made that assumption, I was also of the opinion that EV was responsible for not knowing or following the protocol.

Now that we know it was a respiratory virus, which is spread either hand-to-hand or via respiratory aerosol, I am reluctant to saddle EV with the responsibility for containing it. Perhaps it is not uncommon in the business. What are the procedures for containing it? Who else in the business--or other businesses, for that matter--routinely follows these procedures?

Why do I feel like my mom just took me off of "Time Out"? :)

And there I was drinking my yummy hot chai tea and thinking how pleasant it was that a passionate discussion could take place without resorting to name calling or trolling. I was just happy not to have to send any more PM's or to delete posts. It took a long time to moderate this thread the first time!

But, I can put you in time out if you'd like?? :eyebrow:

And there I was drinking my yummy hot chai tea and thinking how pleasant it was that a passionate discussion could take place without resorting to name calling or trolling. I was just happy not to have to send any more PM's or to delete posts. It took a long time to moderate this thread the first time!

But, I can put you in time out if you'd like?? :eyebrow:

Only if you promise to spank me first. :D

Did you notice the Physician's post stating that the virus is spread by touch and droplets? Inanimate objects do not spread it, not bedding, not surfaces, not food, etc.

It cannot be really established if they caught the bug described in post one from the crew, from the other boat passengers, from airplane passengers, from family members before leaving, etc. It may coincidental and/or psychosomatic that others onboard had similar symptoms of uncultured viruses. Impossible to say.

So is this doctor saying that if the virus carrier touches and inanimate object and you immediately touch that same inanimate object you will not become infected? I'm not a doctor but I don't think that's the case. At least according to my Mom it isn't. She always told me one should never drink out a glass handled by a sick person and Mom's are always right as you well know.

Then of course there's the spraying of droplets in your face while your being served dinner.

The fact is we paid for an activity that we were not able to participate in. Speculate all you want but the only fact, and I stress, only fact we know is that there were sick people on the boat for 2 weeks prior to our arrival and upon our arrival and one of those sick people served dinner that night and breakfast the next morning.

As I told Mr. McCardell in one of my e-mail's, I should not have to be 100% right and him 100% wrong in order to be compensated for activities I paid for but missed because there was illness already on the boat upon our arrival. No one from EV has taken any exception to that either.

What are the procedures for containing it? Who else in the business--or other businesses, for that matter--routinely follows these procedures?

My wife worked in a doctors office. All office personnel were trained on how to give themselves an edge during cold and flu season. Primary defense was lots of hand washing and wiping areas down with disinfectant solutions (not windex) and minimizing any hand to mouth actions.. I would think it reasonable for the boat operator to have included such precautions in the initial briefing, especially give the history of illness on the boat over the previous 2 weeks.

I also believe we may be misinterpreting the medical post concerning the spread thru inanimate objects. While these pathogens may have a very short lifespan outside the body, they can survive long enough for an infected individual to contaminate a piece of paper or a pen and then pass that device to another exposing them to the contamination (the kind of things you would do during the inprocessing on a live-a-board).

+1 this is what I have been thinking all along.

I got tired of getting sick from other sick passengers when flying on my domestic and overseas assignments. Last fall I started a regiment that included bringing a few of those Clorox or Lysol disinfectant moist towels in a clear plastic baggy to wipe down my armrests, tray table and video controller. Then I do the Zycam swabs. This works for me, others may believe it is a bunch of BS but I quit careing how bad it looks wiping this stuff down, it only takes a minute and it's a done deal for the whole flight. So far I have been infection free this winter.
Do I think you deserve compensation No. Could they have thrown you a bone with a discount for another trip with them, that you would probably never use, Yes.

Back
Top Bottom