Diving with Bulls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plumbcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
Right in the middle of Iowa With NO Clean water ar
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got off the phone with one of my dive buddys. He's been in Mexico for the past month.
He was telling me about the bull shark dive he went on in Playa del Carmen. This part make me a little bit nervous about swimming on Playa's beaches at dusk, dawn, and after a hard rain, but the dive sounds great. They jumped in the boat, went a short distance off shore when the motor stopped. He ask if they were having motor problems, due to the proximity of shore. (it sounds like this could have been an easy swim, but they needed the boat for chuming) He was told nope we are here. To his amazement they dropped the chum off the side of the boat, geared up, went off the back of the boat, and there the bull sharks were looking him in the face. He said it was a great dive. I guess one of the bulls were in the neighborhood of 600 pounds and there were a total of nine bulls swimming around him.
This sounds like a great dive! Next time I'm down around there I know exactly what I will be doing!!!

Do you know who the dive operator was? I'll be in Cancun in March, planning to dive with Maya Aqua Dive, based on recommendations from here. I'm hoping to do the bull sharks dive myself, just not sure if they'll still be in the area...apparently, it's very seasonal.

Hi guys, I been doing shark dives in Playa del Carmen for about twenty years, it´s very usual to see bull sharks there, I have trips to go there to.
Since I dont take more than six divers at the time, I make a circuit of diving, doing Cancun dive, Cozumel dive, cenote dive and Playa del Carmen ("sharks" dive or "turtles and tarpoons")
Try me, you are not going to regreat.
alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME
alvaro@alwaysdiving.com

Diving with Bull Sharks makes me nervous. They have the second-highest testosterone level of all animals. I have the highest. But they have more teeth. So they win.

Fyshebait - If you have any concerns about going with Ben, and M.A.D. I will be more than happy to relay my experiances. I am very cautious, and he took me on my first ocean dives. All my previous were brack, or fresh water. I have never been more comfortable diving, he and his staff are attentive, curtious, and willing to help! Getting back in the boat, was like getting out of the pool at the ritz! (without the glitz) The second your butt hits the platform, your gear is carefully wisked off your body, and you are safely in the boat with water in hand! (No problems drinkng the water) I will stop here as I don't want to pull this off topic.

Hi Kids! I do this dive here in Playa. But I don't chum the water. Usually me and my other instructor, Miguel, will spear a couple fish...and here they come! You can read about mine and Rob Mackay's Bullshark dive here: Fantasea Dive News Let me know if any of you will be down here between now and the end of March...and I'll be happy to show you some Bullsharks. :wink:

Fyshebait, I didn't ask who it was. When I talk to him next I'll ask. If he remembers I'll post it. It sounds like PlayaCountryBoy has a good dive though.

Plumb

The only concern that I have is that the sharks won't still be in the area for me to see!
Thanks for the feedback...everything I've heard about Ben and MAD is very positive (not that I haven't heard lots of positive feedback on other operators as well...but I have to pick one!)

Sounds like there is still a good chance for seeing the bulls even in mid-March? That's good news! I'm taking my video camera and Ikelite housing with me...and it would be SOOOOO great to have some video of the sharks to take back to my biology students! (Everything will be cool to take back and show them, but come on...it just doesn't get any better than sharks!)

yeah lets hope they re still a round in march,
i ve been 11 times for the bulls, only twice they didint show, from 2 sharks to 7 was the largest turnout, due to the depth of 110ft your only down 16mins then on the way up.
chuming the water is a good way to attract the sharks however lets hope they dont become too dependant on feeding times or they will start swimming 500m toward playa mamitas!
we did feed the sharks on a few occassions, bonitas (like tuna) seem to work well, with a frozen bonita on a 2m hawaiiana pole we had 4 7ft sharks with us for at least 5mins, geeze i hate my job!, i just miss the shark feeds in oz, damn thats cool!
see you all in cancun, dont miss the wreck dive, we re averaging around 15 huge, gracefull spotted eagle rays only on the wreck, the most beautiful animals in the ocean!

ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom